Author Topic: So...the forum is back....introduce yourself!  (Read 150093 times)

Pekko

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: So...the forum is back....introduce yourself!
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:45 PM »
Hi, good to see the forum back. I´m Pekko, from Helsinki, Finland. First joined the first forum back in 2001 or 2002, then the second one. Good to see some familiar names here.

Ay up. Mod living in arctic circumstances, ie. Finland. I'd be lost without my parka, as you can well imagine! I don't believe there are any other "Finnish mods" about. You see we Finns are a bit backward with these things.

Hi. I don´t know where you live, but there are a few Mods here, at least in Helsinki, but they´re all getting on a bit, think I´m the youngest at 34  8). Plenty of mod/mod friendly (the latter are usually better) nights in Helsinki, you can hear R&B, Northern, Popcorn, Dancefloor Jazz, Ye-Ye etc played out somewhere every weekend really, there´s a monthly ska/early reggae club as well. My favourite clubs are Soul Sides (Hki) and Soul Seed (Turku), they usually have some great foreign guest DJs too. And the Wahoo dancefloor jazz events are fantastic, those boys the grooviest 45s ever. The Helsinki Northern Soul Club was always a good night too. There is also a long established scooter scene here.

See and know lots of younger indie/football casual "modish" types too.  6 or 7 of my football casual/skin mates have vintage Lambrettas and Vespas, wear a Baracuta and desert boots one day and a Stone Island or vintage Fila number the next, but they wouldn´t class themselves as mods though. Quite a few proper skinheads too, not the far right nazi scum.

There was a small scene in the 80s as well, here are the Herttoniemi (a Hki suburb) Mods in all their glory, Jam shoes, white socks and parkas et all  ;)

Hi,

also new to the forum. I´m Petja from Helsinki, Finland. Can´t really say I´m a mod but I do enjoy following the scene.
My passion is soul, funk, ska and mod jazz music. Also enjoy the sharp clothing! If only I could afford all the cool records and clothes...

Hi to you too. Good passions to have, those! When I first started getting into this in 1995 (through Quadrophenia as you do LOL, it was on the telly), there was no internet and finding good clothing, as well as information, took a lot of hard work and dedication.  It´s much easier these days. If you´re on a budget, you can always find good stuff on eBay. I don´t do thrift stores much these days but they´re worth a visit, they often have some nice blazers and coats in stock, then take it to an alterations place and you could have a nice piece of clothing for a very cheap price. And UFF for example, they always have some nice 60s style Italian knitted tops, cycling shirts etc. As for records, there are always bargains to be had in the record shops of the major cities , and you can sometimes strike gold on Discogs and eBay.

Many of you will know Ivy Heikki from MC/Talk Ivy, no doubt the old bugger will be posting photos of his latest outfits here very soon  :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:07:31 PM by Pekko »

TomP

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Tom. Looking forward to some interesting chat and witty banter...

boss69

• Back again
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
Used to post on the board as Liam Mac, currently post on Talk Ivy as Liam Mac, hello my name is Liam Mac but you can call me Liam Mac. Liam for short.

Not really a mod but like a lot of the cross over stuff. This forum was always good for that.  Here's hoping it picks up where it left off. Sort of.

Fair play to you Dave for shouldering the burden of running this place again. Heavy lies the crown and all that.

Can't be arsed reading all 15 pages of this thread but hello again to all the old faces and welcome aboard to all the new ones.

glad you are back. Best poster on last forum..IMHO..
34 waist. 32 leg. 42/43 chest. size 9 shoe/boot

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2013, 12:49:49 AM »
Been a big fan of the old forum, glad to see a new one in action. Brian from Austin, TX here.
Initials B.B.

EchoFerner

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
Hello people! My name is Echo, this is making me very happy indeed!

cba

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
Hello everyone. Very glad to be back on here, this certainly made my birthday!

Christian

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
Rafa, from Valencia, Spain south-east. Congratulations, Dave, it's plain this was a much missed forum, I myself was a frequent lurker but never registered, thanks for this new chance. I remember many many good suggestions I followed & would like to be useful to other modernist-minded (or is it trad minded?). Anyway, cheers for everybody and apologies for my rusty english .

Jakeyboy

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
Great to have the forum back. Looking forward to some gold old banter.

Iain F

• Style & Manners.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »
Hello All,

Glad this is up and running again, I have to agree that 'What Are You Wearing?' was an inspiration every day.

Name's Iain, 44, from God's own Borough of Havering.

Currently languishing in the lower reaches of the Modculture Fantasy Footy league!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:32:45 PM by Iain F »

Steve_C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
Hi All

I was an occasional poster on the old forum, very occasional!

Ive been into the mod scene since i was about 14, I was 40 last year. I just never grew out of it really, but then great taste never goes out of fashion does it?

I got my first scooter last year courtesy of my wife for my 40th ( a dream come true really as id never been able to save enough for one previously), its  a series 3 LI125 (Now 175). I DJ in Birmingham occasianly at a bar in a place called moseley, i'm into jazz, soul and funk and thats what i play - late 50's/60's to present. I dont really do many mod clubs as i tend to go to Northern Soul do's mainly. Living near the black country theres always lots of them on too, although we do try to get to the stoke allnighter each quarter.

Looking forward to contributing!

Steve  ;)