Author Topic: Trainers thread...  (Read 27009 times)

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
Re: Trainers thread...
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Red version of Adidas Hamburgs just on pre-order, possibly a bit bold for me!

http://www.modculture.co.uk/red-and-green-reissue-of-adidas-hamburg-city-series-trainers-incoming/
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 12:38:28 AM »
These Lacoste Rene OG STM tick all the boxes for me.

http://www.hanon-shop.com/lacoste-rene-og-stm.html

Sorry mate but these aren't trainers. These are the kind of wick sandshoes we used to wear while poncing about the school hall in our underwear in the infants. Not for grown men!

SuaveCollective

• From the midst of the peacock revolution
    • View Profile
    • www.allaboutmygirl.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »
Great ha ha!

In the world of Good-Cop; Bad-Cop; Good-Rod; Bad-Rod... Bad-Rod is back!!!

Love it!

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
I have a pair of these for knocking about the house in, but wouldn't personally wear trainers outside of the house unless I was going for a run - which is never.

Sorry for the huge pic!
Concilio et Labore

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
Trainers, like all sports wear, should only been see whilst actually playing sport  ;)

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »
Trainers, like all sports wear, should only been see whilst actually playing sport  ;)

Agreed! (hope you weren't being sarcastic! haha)
Concilio et Labore

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
Sorry mate but these aren't trainers. These are the kind of wick sandshoes we used to wear while poncing about the school hall in our underwear in the infants. Not for grown men!

That's the look I was going for.  8) Though deep down I convince myself I'm an uber hip Parisian circa 1957.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

That's the look I was going for.  8) Though deep down I convince myself I'm an uber hip Parisian circa 1957.

;D

"And nowwwww  ... Everyone be butterflies!"

I enjoy the lively debate about trainers and whether they pass muster or not. I don't think there was much on offer in the early sixties so we don't have a very strong reference point, but bowling shoes, tennis shirts, boxing boots and cycling shirts were appropriated from sportswear so I reckon if Gazelles of Stan Smiths had been widely available they would have found their way into the feet of a few movers and shakers even if they may have got sneering disdain from the original stylists in their bespoke suits who probably sniffed at anything that diluted the look that they didn't invent.

I have several pairs of Gazelles which used to be marketed as 'leisure shoes' when aa were a lad. I admit that wearing suede and nylon type running shoes (often seen with dad jeans) is a truly horrible look.

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »

Agreed! (hope you weren't being sarcastic! haha)

No mate, it was meant as just that, but with one eye on not offending those who like and wear them whilst not training... ;)

I don't own a pair and haven't done for maybe 20 years or so now. Just a personal thing. I love cycling gear, but only when riding my bike. I do get the Mod/Sports cross over, and if you like, great. Just not for me.

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »

;D

"And nowwwww  ... Everyone be butterflies!"

I enjoy the lively debate about trainers and whether they pass muster or not. I don't think there was much on offer in the early sixties so we don't have a very strong reference point, but bowling shoes, tennis shirts, boxing boots and cycling shirts were appropriated from sportswear so I reckon if Gazelles of Stan Smiths had been widely available they would have found their way into the feet of a few movers and shakers even if they may have got sneering disdain from the original stylists in their bespoke suits who probably sniffed at anything that diluted the look that they didn't invent.

I have several pairs of Gazelles which used to be marketed as 'leisure shoes' when aa were a lad. I admit that wearing suede and nylon type running shoes (often seen with dad jeans) is a truly horrible look.

Don't see anything wrong with trainers as long as they're a bit different and en par with the clean lines/shape etc. Personally wouldn't go for Gazelles/Stan Smiths as they're a little unimaginative and commonplace around where I like (even if I do pair trainers with white jeans and a cycling shirt!) not sure what it's like where you live (but saying that, I live in a place where people wear espadrilles on a night out). If I was going to go for Adidas, I'd stray far & away from the recent issues and look at something like the original Indoor Super model. No clumpy platform sole like you see on a lot of modern Adidas and a nice crisp design.