Author Topic: Trainers thread...  (Read 57809 times)

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
Re: Trainers thread...
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2019, 06:36:16 AM »
Yogi was famous for playing one game for Sunderland before getting a career ending injury. Typical of our lot. If we got Ronaldo to come and play for us he’d get shot by a jealous boyfriend before kicking a ball!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »
My brother lives in Airdrie. Drove past their ground once and in a few minutes drove past another ground.
Who’s is that then?
Albion Rovers
No the wonder attendance is so low in Scotland when every other village has a team.

Dunno what happened to the talent pool north of the border. They reckon Celtic’s European Cup team was composed entirely of lads from within about 20 miles of Glasgow, and then there was Malone, Kerr, Hughes, Porterfield (RIP) ...

Anyway those trainers look decent but not sure about the colour.

Ah originally hail (hail) fae Falkirk which has three teams - Falkirk, Stenhousemuir n' East Stirlingshire tho' The Shire huv dropped intae the Lowland League these past couple ay years.  Alloa n' Stirling Albion barely a stone's throw awa'.  Junior teams in Camelon n' Bo'ness n'aw.

Biggest support in the area is Ibrox fixated but a lot ay local Celtic buses travel through tae Parkheid n'aw.

When ah still lived up there ah used tae watch a local team when ah couldnae get tae a Celtic game - or if thir wis a local match oan when Celtic wurnae playin'.  No unheard ay fur me tae attend three games in the same week at that time.

Coatbridge is a Celtic toon but likewise some ay them bhoys will go watch the Rovers if it doesnae clash.

As fur the Sunderland players mentioned - Billy Hughes wis the wee brother ay John "Yogi" Hughes wha' played fur Celtic in the European Cup winnin' campaign altho' he didnae make the team fur the final itsel'.

Ah ken wur aff topic here but. .

I think the fact that there is a Celtic and Sevco element in most of the big towns goes back to just after the war when the Glasgow overspill kicked in and many of the Glasgow folk were spread far and wide . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2019, 11:55:06 PM »
My brother lives in Airdrie. Drove past their ground once and in a few minutes drove past another ground.
Who’s is that then?
Albion Rovers
No the wonder attendance is so low in Scotland when every other village has a team.

Dunno what happened to the talent pool north of the border. They reckon Celtic’s European Cup team was composed entirely of lads from within about 20 miles of Glasgow, and then there was Malone, Kerr, Hughes, Porterfield (RIP) ...

Anyway those trainers look decent but not sure about the colour.

Ah originally hail (hail) fae Falkirk which has three teams - Falkirk, Stenhousemuir n' East Stirlingshire tho' The Shire huv dropped intae the Lowland League these past couple ay years.  Alloa n' Stirling Albion barely a stone's throw awa'.  Junior teams in Camelon n' Bo'ness n'aw.

Biggest support in the area is Ibrox fixated but a lot ay local Celtic buses travel through tae Parkheid n'aw.

When ah still lived up there ah used tae watch a local team when ah couldnae get tae a Celtic game - or if thir wis a local match oan when Celtic wurnae playin'.  No unheard ay fur me tae attend three games in the same week at that time.

Coatbridge is a Celtic toon but likewise some ay them bhoys will go watch the Rovers if it doesnae clash.

As fur the Sunderland players mentioned - Billy Hughes wis the wee brother ay John "Yogi" Hughes wha' played fur Celtic in the European Cup winnin' campaign altho' he didnae make the team fur the final itsel'.

Ah ken wur aff topic here but. .

I think the fact that there is a Celtic and Sevco element in most of the big towns goes back to just after the war when the Glasgow overspill kicked in and many of the Glasgow folk were spread far and wide . .

Loads ay Glaswegians moved tae Grangemooth when the oil refinery opened.

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:13 PM »
Haha I think Syd flagged these up recently with me in mind too.
They’re sorta ‘nearly but not quite’ for my taste.
Also I have way too many trainers.
I was looking into a custom mi adidas pair but they’ve closed that program. Website says something new is coming. I thought that was just some bollocks excuse but someone said they’re restarting the custom program in line with their upcoming 70th anniversary so we’ll see what comes of that!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »

Nice one! Albeit for a younger gent. I keep a pair of old suede Gazelles, the rest of trainers I own are very basic plimsolls (jack purcells and the like), usually to wear with shorts.  Catalonian brand Matés makes beautiful and technically good trainers that look like their first 60s models (http://www.mates.es/catalogo/108), but I'm afraid they don't have e-shop, so you'll have to visit their Barcelona store to get a pair. And they're expensive, more than 150 € a pair.

[/quote]

Good news for classic trainers' lovers (hey Rod!). The Barcelona brand Matés have finally established a webshop! Theirs are easily the best-looking -and handmade- retro trainers in Europe, and while the premium models are above the 200 € mark (and can only be purchased in their physical shop anyway), the basic models Carmel or Myrna are way cheaper (but none of them under 100 €). Take a look:

https://mates.es/products/

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:04 PM »
They look nice them Syd.
Dangerously close to copyright infringement on a lot adidas models (Gazelles, Rom, Stan Smiths).
I’m really full on trainers right now. Trying to curtail my spending (how long have I been saying that for?) - I really mean it this time!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
They look nice them Syd.
Dangerously close to copyright infringement on a lot adidas models (Gazelles, Rom, Stan Smiths).
I’m really full on trainers right now. Trying to curtail my spending (how long have I been saying that for?) - I really mean it this time!

It should be the other way round, Rod, the Barcelona brand have been making professional sports' footwear here since the 50s, and surely they have their classic models patented too. Anyway I've taken a punt on a pair, I'll post pictures here when they arrive. Only the Zeha classic GDR trainers (and some Adidas reissues) look as good as Matés, but at double the price, which is crazy money for a pair of trainers.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »
Don't really know a lot about trainers but those MaTes ones look ok. Is it true you can't get them here?  If not then is it something I should think about going in JTG? On a small scale of course, Maybe in a dark casual corner or under the counter.