Author Topic: Any mod artists or art about?  (Read 10202 times)

newspapersmiles

• View Profile
Any mod artists or art about?
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
Had in mind to start a thread like this because I'm curious to see what kind of art mods and other people make of mods.

So if you are an artist, or just happen to find an intriguing and inspiring piece of work, why not share it with others?

I'm nothing but an amateur, but I enjoy sketching and painting with acrylic colours whenever in the mood and not lacking of time. I'm open for new ideas and my next project could be a big acrylic painting on cardboard canvas. I was thinking of making a stencil of a scooter or possibly something Quadrophenia related.

I like my paintings as stencils, black on white background and red and blue as emphasis colours. This is my latest painting. I'm hoping to get it framed soon.

Sorry for the overly big picture...

Edit: I'm also working on a painting of the Jam currently. A similar painting to the Small Faces so that I could one day put up a series of mod related paintings on the wall.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:27:17 PM by newspapersmiles »

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
Re: Any mod artists or art about?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
I honestly don't think I would want anything mod-themed on my walls, unless it was an original club poster, original cult movie poster or the like. Really would not want a scooter painting, Weller with a target background etc etc anywhere near my walls.

Saying that, some great artists with mod roots have been on this board in the past, including he likes of Lord Dunsby and Mick M from Sheffield, to name just two. But their ability means their work goes well beyond the borders of mod and into the commercial sector.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

hipshaker

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
i'm the same dave ........ but i think it probably depends on how "long" you are in to this scene and maybe even age. i think many people move on from this sort of thing in time ..... but it acts as an introduction point for a while. bit like music and clothes too i think.

i tend to keep anything too obvious off my walls but we do have an italian 'mini and lambretta" (surprisingly as there seem to be very few lambrettas left there!) rally poster on a wall. i have a couple of punk bits up too ..... a limited edition God Save The Queen hand signed print and some punk lyric prints (featured on retro to go a while ago).

sye loz

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:24 AM »
Had in mind to start a thread like this because I'm curious to see what kind of art mods and other people make of mods.

So if you are an artist, or just happen to find an intriguing and inspiring piece of work, why not share it with others?

I'm nothing but an amateur, but I enjoy sketching and painting with acrylic colours whenever in the mood and not lacking of time. I'm open for new ideas and my next project could be a big acrylic painting on cardboard canvas. I was thinking of making a stencil of a scooter or possibly something Quadrophenia related.

I like my paintings as stencils, black on white background and red and blue as emphasis colours. This is my latest painting. I'm hoping to get it framed soon.

Sorry for the overly big picture...

Edit: I'm also working on a painting of the Jam currently. A similar painting to the Small Faces so that I could one day put up a series of mod related paintings on the wall.
Hello Mate.

I'm guessing you are quite young & just getting into the whole scene?

It's not something I would have on my walls now as a 39 year old but would've been all over it when I first started getting into the mod thing so good on yas.

It's a good starting point for sure & hopefully you will go from strength to strength with your artwork.

If you like that screenprint style,  maybe have a look at Mel Ramos, Ed Ruscha & Peter Blake's work. The first two maybe not as obviously well known as other pop artists. I think you'll like them.

newspapersmiles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »
I'm not serious with my amateur experiments at all, it's more of a way of spending/wasting time (and money...) and clearing my head.

Yeah, I'm relatively young so I guess you could put all this into the excitement and that. I don't know, doing it is a good way to keep yourself concentrated (or distracted) from something.

Thanks for the names, I'll look them up.

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
This fella has some interesting stuff.

http://www.artbyrne.com/#!about

Dogtooth

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:44 PM »
I've always liked Lord Dunsby's art - especially his illustrations of jazz & blues musicians.
Is he still around?

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
http://www.petemckee.com/

Some nice stuff on here..wouldn't mind a couple of originals!

Like this guy also.

http://www.simondixon.net/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:31:54 PM by Woody 64 »

Mr Whippet

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
Hi,
thanks for the name drop Dave
I have mod roots and would indeed have had a union jack patterned Lambretta being ridden by members of The Jam, The Who and The Small Faces jumping through a target when I was 15 and later moved onto Pop Art Peter Blake/ Richard Hamilton/ Andy Warhol etc.
My own stuff has a nod to mod on occasion but is generally wrapped up in other stuff i'm interested in too (see link).
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=120969054752207&set=a.120963298086116.19715.100005173393772&type=3&theater
Steve Millington (aka Lord Dunsby) is the 'go to' artist for most people of a mod persuasion.
regards
Mick M

BB Sedgley

• Posts on target: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »
there was a lad on the old forum who'd done a few small pieces of his own,

i remember one of them had a caption 'freakbeat? not on Eric's watch'

wouldn't mind seeing them again if he's about this time round
Alright, alright keep your Alans on!