Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 298330 times)

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1490 on: February 16, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
Thought you'd prefer Louis singing When the Saints go marching in.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 17, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »

TBH, I prefer him as a trumpet player, but "Wonderful world" is still one of my all-time favourite songs/performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlDgQOd3p-0

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 17, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
 Heard dj playing this in a bar recently and had to ask him who it was (wife has a thing for trumpets !)  -    From ‘places and spaces’
 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwJnqrYKno

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 18, 2018, 12:45:02 AM »

Ah , so you didn't listen to the whole thing then Woodster  ;D
. .if you take it from about 9:06 you will indeed hear our Club anthem . .OWTS 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 24, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
New James Hunter album "Whatever it takes"

A bit of a grower and a bit more subtle than past releases.

Can't wait to see him kicking off the Glasgow Mod Weekender in June.

See you there Mr Bond?

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 27, 2018, 06:29:35 AM »
New James Hunter album "Whatever it takes"

A bit of a grower and a bit more subtle than past releases.

Can't wait to see him kicking off the Glasgow Mod Weekender in June.

See you there Mr Bond?

What are the dates Mr Woody . .

If it is in McChuills it will be packed like sardines in a tin. .

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 27, 2018, 12:19:33 PM »
Check the upcoming Mod events topic.

JH playing new venue near the Barrowland Ballroom.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 01, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Enjoying this at the moment. .

never puts a foot wrong and contains the larry Frasier tracks that are hard to find anywhere else. .

Can't see the pic, Simon.

Soho Scene '62 , Jazz Goes Mod -R&B Records

I've got the CD versión: lots of cool tunes, a great cover and liner notes too. Check out the last CD in the series, "Soho Scene '63", I'll receive it next week.

I have now received this as a gift the other day , on account of my hanging one more year on the line , it is very good I must say , the music that is. . 8)

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 01, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
Heard dj playing this in a bar recently and had to ask him who it was (wife has a thing for trumpets !)  -    From ‘places and spaces’
 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwJnqrYKno

She would like it here then , we have loads of trumpets . .

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 22, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »

A late contender is "Marshmallow skies", tho' I'm still not sure the category in which it fits. Maybe Best (not so) Guilty Pleasure Comp? The basic idea behind the comp is to show how the teen stars of the pre-Beatles era coped with the lightning-fast changes of pop music from the mid 60s on. Performers stepped in a solid showbiz tradition suddenly found themselves on quicksand: passé and surrounded by drug-influenced, counter-culture sounds that they really didn't get but were making the charts and selling tons of records.

Obviously, some entertainers chose to carry on with their stuff as if things weren't changing around them, but a lot of them (or their producers/labels, anyway) tried to keep up. The results, as we can hear in "Marshmallow skies", were uneven, disgraceful even, but make for fascinating listening today.

There's something for everyone here: proto-punk (Tommy Sand's "Candy story prophet"), light psych, go-go music (Freddy Cannon taking the Doors' "20th century fox" where I always knew it belonged), jazzy pop-soul (Neil Sedaka and a surprisingly rewarding "Cold Girl") and a lot of folk rock (you'd swear the Byrds are backing Gene Vincent in his 1967's attempt to stay relevant... two years later!). Even Cilla Black manages to sound sexy and mysterious in a George Martin produced oddity.

There's bona fide psychedelia too, not least Chad & Jeremy's "Sunstroke", from their masterpiece "The ark", a record still waiting for reappraisal. But then they belonged to the Beatles' inner circle. Jan & Dean, the Tokens and Brian Hyland also show affinity and a good ear for the genre.

The weirdest of the lot, tho', has to be Gene Pitney's "Animal crackers", who doesn't just adapt to the times but manages to surpass them! In fact, to my ears "Animal crackers" is closer to the shaky art bands of the 80s than, say, "Revolver"
("Hey folks... who put THAT sugar cube in mr. Pitney's espresso?")

Black music is meagrely represented, but the 3 tracks on offer are among the best. Anthony & the Imperials' song seems a bit out of place here, as it's more elegant uptown soul than psych-pop. But in the crazied "Stoned in the bathroom", Chubby Checker (mr Twist no less!) sounds uncannily like 70s Arthur Lee, no mean feat. And Bo Diddley... well, judge for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P72LtIRm9mc

I was on the fence on buying this but your review swayed that and I'm glad I did.;D   As you mentioned a couple of the backing tracks are very Byrds-esque.  Del Shannon's 'Gemini' wouldn't sound out of place on a Brit-psych comp.  The Jan and Dean and Tommy Sands tracks are unhinged, proper garage-psych!  And the Bo Diddley number...well lets say it's clear where the Charlatans inspiration for 'One to Another' came from.

Staying on a psych tip, I can recommend two recent box sets on Grapefruit records - 'Let's Go Down and Blow Our Minds - The British Psychedelic Sounds Of 1967' and 'Looking At The Pictures In The Sky: The British Psychedelic Sounds Of 1968'.  There's some stuff on these that has been heavily comped previously - I was a bit sceptical about whether I needed yet another disc with the likes of 'Father's Name is Dad' or 'The Madman Running Through the Fields'.  However for me these are worth it for the number of rarities, unreleased tracks and alternative takes.  The sound is great and they come with extensive booklets.  Anyone familiar with the RPM box sets such as 'Looking Back' and 'Keep Lookin' , these are on par with the quality of those.