Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 236785 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1510 on: April 13, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
I do, mate!  Also reminds me the singer from Tame Impala.  It's a lovely album!

I concur, if they make it soon to Valencia I'll try to attend the gig.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 13, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
The Wheels - Year of the Monkey.

Just found this via a Spanish language blog: sung in English, it's a great slab of psyche/freakbeat/60s pop from a young Spanish band.  You can hear their influences but they do it well!

Link to blog article: http://fanzinemakingtime.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-wheels-single-exclusivo-para-el-rsd.html
Bandcamp link if you want to give it a listen https://thewheelsofficial.bandcamp.com/

Good shout, Ady! From Palma, in Majorca, apparently. Don't you think the singer's voice sounds uncannily like Lennon circa "The White Album"!?!?

Yes, thanks for the tip, Ady.... and good call GS, definitely "Lennon-ish" vocals!
mod in Detroit

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 19, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
Bought the Tara Milton Serpentine Waltz album which is growing on me.  On the back of that I picked up a copy of Five Thirty - Bed.  I vaguely remembered them from the very early 90s (very nu-Mod) and would have heard the odd song (but in indie clubs and not at the Mod do's I would've been at) and...it's astonishing! How they weren't massive I do not know.  I expect there were budding musicians at the time making notes, forming bands, and using 5.30 as a blueprint and then raking it in when A & R men were signing anyone who looked the part (step forward, Menswear) but few of those Britpop bands that followed can hold a candle to this lot, many of whom, on reflection, suffered from difficult-second-single syndrome.  It really has exceeded my expectations and is the best fiver I've spent this week.  Fabulous songs, arrangements, and playing.  Doff of cap to Monkey's blog for putting me onto this.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 20, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »
they go to my list, thanx.