Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 277439 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1510 on: April 13, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
I do, mate!  Also reminds me the singer from Tame Impala.  It's a lovely album!

I concur, if they make it soon to Valencia I'll try to attend the gig.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 13, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
The Wheels - Year of the Monkey.

Just found this via a Spanish language blog: sung in English, it's a great slab of psyche/freakbeat/60s pop from a young Spanish band.  You can hear their influences but they do it well!

Link to blog article: http://fanzinemakingtime.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-wheels-single-exclusivo-para-el-rsd.html
Bandcamp link if you want to give it a listen https://thewheelsofficial.bandcamp.com/

Good shout, Ady! From Palma, in Majorca, apparently. Don't you think the singer's voice sounds uncannily like Lennon circa "The White Album"!?!?

Yes, thanks for the tip, Ady.... and good call GS, definitely "Lennon-ish" vocals!
mod in Detroit

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 19, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
Bought the Tara Milton Serpentine Waltz album which is growing on me.  On the back of that I picked up a copy of Five Thirty - Bed.  I vaguely remembered them from the very early 90s (very nu-Mod) and would have heard the odd song (but in indie clubs and not at the Mod do's I would've been at) and...it's astonishing! How they weren't massive I do not know.  I expect there were budding musicians at the time making notes, forming bands, and using 5.30 as a blueprint and then raking it in when A & R men were signing anyone who looked the part (step forward, Menswear) but few of those Britpop bands that followed can hold a candle to this lot, many of whom, on reflection, suffered from difficult-second-single syndrome.  It really has exceeded my expectations and is the best fiver I've spent this week.  Fabulous songs, arrangements, and playing.  Doff of cap to Monkey's blog for putting me onto this.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 20, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »
they go to my list, thanx.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 23, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
just got a load of records through.

The war on drugs, sleaker-kinney,blondie,MSP,neil young etc...

A few months of listening before the next load.
Not stuck in the 60's

Arnaldo Layne

• Est.1978
    • View Profile
Oh, my stars that fall like ashen memories amidst the trees
Then burst like leper sunsets on the shore

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:44 AM »
just got a load of records through.

The war on drugs, sleaker-kinney,blondie,MSP,neil young etc...

A few months of listening before the next load.
Heard the tune "Pain" from TWOD's lp, thinking of picking it up... love that tune!
mod in Detroit

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 05, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
Not mod related really, but to me this is one of the essential comps of 2018 so far, as most of the recordings here have been out of print for years. It'd be useless, though, if the music wasn't first rate, but Masekela's blend of african sounds, soul and jazz is a powerful one and the decade covered by the 3 CDs set was arguably his creative zenith. Anyway, as the icing on the cake two of his best albums (from 73 and 74) are included in their integrity.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 05, 2018, 08:54:03 PM »
Not mod related really, but to me this is one of the essential comps of 2018 so far, as most of the recordings here have been out of print for years. It'd be useless, though, if the music wasn't first rate, but Masekela's blend of african sounds, soul and jazz is a powerful one and the decade covered by the 3 CDs set was arguably his creative zenith. Anyway, as the icing on the cake two of his best albums (from 73 and 74) are included in their integrity.

A good find Sydney. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 06, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »

A good find Sydney. .

I knew it would appeal to you, after all you made me aware me of the talented Mulatu Astatke