Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 178026 times)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1440 on: September 22, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
The just issued "Bidin' my time" by Chris Hillman, is one of the best albums EVER from a Byrds' exmember since the band's golden days, almost a masterpiece, and it goes right into my top LPs list of 2017. A great, moving surprise for the Byrdmaniax out there, like yours truly. Oh, and with the great Tom Petty at the helm. 

https://www.propermusic.com/product-details/Chris-Hillman-Bidin-My-Time-250379

Was unaware of this, Sidney, have pre-ordered. Cheers for the heads-up!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: September 22, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
You're welcome, doc. Enjoy!  :D

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 30, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »
Some Hammond (& Lowrey) jewels that may have passed unnoticed for jazz organ lovers from this parish.

First: Dick Hyman was a virtuosi keyboardist that became a mainstay of LA studio scene during the 50s and 60s. He dabbled in electronics and the like late in his career and he often straddled the line between easy listening and jazz. Case in point, the 2 albums' project he recorded in 1968 to cash in on the then current popularity of soul music, recently reissued by spanish label Fresh Sound Records as a 2 LPs in one CD package.

The gimmick? mr. Hyman, backed by a basic rhythm section, doubling himself on piano -sometimes clavinet- and organ. And the results are surprisingly good, maybe not as soulful as the real deal but not elevator music either. The impeccable musicianship of all involved -Hyman is very, very good- elevates these records towards a very enjoyable soul jazz date. And the gimmick works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_cTVW8n4QU

Second: this was a nice surprise. I knew Jack Wilson as a hard bop west coast piano player (he played with Roy Ayers), active mainly in the 60s, but recently I discovered he had also toyed with organ jazz for some mid 60s sessions. Some material from those sessions was released by Vault records (distributed by Atlantic) in 1964, as The jazz organs. That title has an explanation: besides Wilson, another 2 lesser known Hammond players were in attendance. If you add to this a first class rhythm section, with the great Philly Joe Jones on drums, the results are dynamite! A mix of current r&b hits and Wilson's tunes, the album is a no-holds barred soul jazz party, with feverishly fast tempos (the One mint julep cover is so fast my first thought was they had speeded up the tapes!) and virtuoso playing a plenty. The only letdown, the very brief playing time of the LP, less than half an hour.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »
Not bought much lately, but I have been spinning:

New York Soul '66 (History of Soul) compilation: it's a double CD with 56 tracks covering big city ballads, barnstormers and mid tempo vocal groups.  I'll be honest:  there were quite a few  artists that I'd never heard of but I trust the label's pedigree and the collection is superb.

des Limiņanas- Costa Blanca. Again, I'd not heard of these until reading about them on Monkey's blog and in Shindig! magazine.  I like this very much: it has a big chunky bass married to a Gallic-ness insouciance conjuring images of basement clubs where everyone chain smokes and looks glum but then they weave in a north African vibe here and there which lends it an exotic cinematic scope.

And, as it's early autumn, it's only right to put some Ronnie Lane on; his music suits the season's gorgeous burst of colours to a T
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

Arnaldo Layne

• Est.1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: November 12, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
Loving these fresh tunes from The Liminanas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUBw9vskBIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8WXa85aQtk

New albums going to be a corker I think...
Oh, my stars that fall like ashen memories amidst the trees
Then burst like leper sunsets on the shore