Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 284305 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1520 on: May 06, 2018, 07:05:13 PM »
Not mod related really, but to me this is one of the essential comps of 2018 so far, as most of the recordings here have been out of print for years. It'd be useless, though, if the music wasn't first rate, but Masekela's blend of african sounds, soul and jazz is a powerful one and the decade covered by the 3 CDs set was arguably his creative zenith. Anyway, as the icing on the cake two of his best albums (from 73 and 74) are included in their integrity.

A good find Sydney. .

I knew it would appeal to you, after all you made me aware me of the talented Mulatu Astatke

Indeed , I found him by a happenchance on the Jamie Collum show . I don't know if you know of this one below too , which was done as an album on a one off meeting . Not exactly Mod music but great stuff . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frM_FoeKm5g

. .enjoy
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 07, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

Indeed , I found him by a happenchance on the Jamie Collum show . I don't know if you know of this one below too , which was done as an album on a one off meeting . Not exactly Mod music but great stuff . .

. .enjoy

While I didn't know the JBetsch álbum, I've got my fair share of LPs of the label that issued it, Strata-East, kind of a 70s independent purveyor of jazz-funk. I'll give it a spin.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 07, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »

. .enjoy

Love it, Simon, a great record. You've got a fine musical ear, mate. African inspiration + a matress of spiritual and free jazz+ joyful tunes, kind of reminds me contemporary records by Pharoah Sanders and Leon Thomas, music on the verge of derailing that oddly never fails to swing.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 07, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »

. .enjoy

Love it, Simon, a great record. You've got a fine musical ear, mate. African inspiration + a matress of spiritual and free jazz+ joyful tunes, kind of reminds me contemporary records by Pharoah Sanders and Leon Thomas, music on the verge of derailing that oddly never fails to swing.

Glad you like it mi hermano , l was playing for it about 3 months when I first got it and then I found Mulatu Astatke , then next up was the Mod Jazz albums already listened to the 1963 disc 2x today , still love it . Spent sometime with Woody yesterday at the seaside listening to a great wee Scottish band called Redstart , all covers but lovely stuff . . 8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 08, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »

Glad you like it mi hermano , l was playing for it about 3 months when I first got it and then I found Mulatu Astatke , then next up was the Mod Jazz albums already listened to the 1963 disc 2x today , still love it . Spent sometime with Woody yesterday at the seaside listening to a great wee Scottish band called Redstart , all covers but lovely stuff . . 8)

Part of the Troon Weekender, I guess?

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 08, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

Indeed , it was great weather and the band played well with some great crowd pleasers. .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 12, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
Jazz vocalist Eddie Jefferson is mainly remembered among our fraternity for his take on Horace Silver's "Psychedelic Sally", a club favourite. But the man had a long and illustrious, if not lucrative, career from the late 1940s on, closely associated to be-bop and the art of "vocalese" (that is, putting lyrics to jazz solos), and was revered by his peers.

That shows in jazz singer Allan Harris' new album, entirely conceived as a tribute to Eddie Jefferson. No "Psychedelic Sally" here, but first rate tunes related to Jefferson. Harris is an outstanding vocalist and he's backed by an equally good small jazz combo, so the results are consistently good, without sounding like a carbon copy. Recommended.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 12, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »

I'm only starting to feel normal again today. Getting too old for 48hours of non stop raving.

Good to see you Mr Bond,sorry I had to rush away but taxi was waiting outside to take a few of us to the local Indian restaurant.

Only 6 weeks to Glasgow till I do it all again...3 days this time!  ;D

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 12, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »

I'm only starting to feel normal again today. Getting too old for 48hours of non stop raving.

Good to see you Mr Bond,sorry I had to rush away but taxi was waiting outside to take a few of us to the local Indian restaurant.

Only 6 weeks to Glasgow till I do it all again...3 days this time!  ;D

I feel your pain, Woody, my standard hangover these days can last up to 2 days, but if the party has been really hard I'm sure to spend almost a week paying for my sins!

Do you remember when you could spend the whole weekend raving, with just a few hours of sleep, and be fresh on monday? Anyway, give your best in Glasgow!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 18, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
My wife has put me on the trail of this, so thanks where they're due. It's the last album by master trumpet player Eddie Henderson, who was part of Herbie Hancock's Headhunters band. Don't expect fusion here, though, just hard bop Blue Note style. Great tunes and great playing by all involved, including pianist Kenny Barron.