Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 284505 times)

Rocketman

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1530 on: July 21, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
Mattiel excellent debut , tickets secured for her forthcoming tour.  (See live link)
https://louderthanwar.com/264538-2/

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 12, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
« Reply #1532 on: August 12, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »

Janko Nilovic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScNgrQ1EXr0

Got a lot of Janko Nilovic records.  Quality composer/artist.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 12, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »

Janko Nilovic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScNgrQ1EXr0

;)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 07, 2018, 03:45:58 PM »
Been listening last week to a couple of almost forgotten records that might be interesting to some here.

- First, "Mr. Brown Eyed Soul", a compilation of chicano soulsters Sunny & the Sunliners mid-to-late-60s soul output. They're a texan band still going strong -if I'm not mistaken- in the States with their mix of tex-mex, latin and soul, but in the era covered by this record they were mainly a soul band, and a classy one at that.

In fact, they blend effortlesly southern soul (powerful rhythm section, tight horn arrangements and a mattress of B-3) with Chicago and Detroit's more urbane, uptown sounds (jazzy guitar, crooner-styled vocals and background harmonies). It's at the same time an earthy and sophisticated sound, cool as f***k. Add to this the songwriting skills of their leader, mister "Sunny" Ozuna, and their superb taste in choosing and arranging songs to cover (not the usual suspects). Case in point, their stylish, latin-tinged take on the oft-covered jazz standard "Our day Will come":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyVSq2E7PI

-"Recital" (1968) was the second album by keyboard wizard Lee Michaels and is a different kettle of fish altogether. A mainstay of the late 60s LA and San Francisco scenes, Michaels often shared stage with such luminaries as Moby Grape (in fact, he'd played in earlier bands with bassist Bob Mosley), Love or the Grateful Dead.

In spite of that, he mostly eschewed psychedelic rock in favour of a more earthy, soul-rock approach. Think early 70s Traffic, Al Kooper's Blood Sweat & Tears or the Electric Flag and you get the idea, though he doesn't really sound like any of them.

"Recital" was possibly his finest moment on wax: well written, short and punchy, funky songs and a sympathetic band behind. In fact, the input of the rhythm section alone enhances HUGELY the record, but then they're seasoned LA pros John Barbata and Larry Knetchel no less. Michaels himself is a fine singer (if a little showy now and then) and he works with a veritable arsenal of keyboards (overdubbing B-3, harpschicord and acoustic and electric pianos). The icing on the cake: the "it-shoulda-been-a-hit" opener:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq--BO9BQww

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 07, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »
Been listening last week to a couple of almost forgotten records that might be interesting to some here.

- First, "Mr. Brown Eyed Soul", a compilation of chicano soulsters Sunny & the Sunliners mid-to-late-60s soul output. They're a texan band still going strong -if I'm not mistaken- in the States with their mix of tex-mex, latin and soul, but in the era covered by this record they were mainly a soul band, and a classy one at that.

In fact, they blend effortlesly southern soul (powerful rhythm section, tight horn arrangements and a mattress of B-3) with Chicago and Detroit's more urbane, uptown sounds (jazzy guitar, crooner-styled vocals and background harmonies). It's at the same time an earthy and sophisticated sound, cool as f***k. Add to this the songwriting skills of their leader, mister "Sunny" Ozuna, and their superb taste in choosing and arranging songs to cover (not the usual suspects). Case in point, their stylish, latin-tinged take on the oft-covered jazz standard "Our day Will come":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyVSq2E7PI

-"Recital" (1968) was the second album by keyboard wizard Lee Michaels and is a different kettle of fish altogether. A mainstay of the late 60s LA and San Francisco scenes, Michaels often shared stage with such luminaries as Moby Grape (in fact, he'd played in earlier bands with bassist Bob Mosley), Love or the Grateful Dead.

In spite of that, he mostly eschewed psychedelic rock in favour of a more earthy, soul-rock approach. Think early 70s Traffic, Al Kooper's Blood Sweat & Tears or the Electric Flag and you get the idea, though he doesn't really sound like any of them.

"Recital" was possibly his finest moment on wax: well written, short and punchy, funky songs and a sympathetic band behind. In fact, the input of the rhythm section alone enhances HUGELY the record, but then they're seasoned LA pros John Barbata and Larry Knetchel no less. Michaels himself is a fine singer (if a little showy now and then) and he works with a veritable arsenal of keyboards (overdubbing B-3, harpschicord and acoustic and electric pianos). The icing on the cake: the "it-shoulda-been-a-hit" opener:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq--BO9BQww

Superb write up , better than  music journo'. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:18:41 AM by Simon Bond »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 08, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »

Superb right up , better than  music journo'.

Thanks for the kind words, mi hermano. I used to earn a crust by writing (not about music, I'm afraid), but it's more difficult in english.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 08, 2018, 10:54:04 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, mi hermano. I used to earn a crust by writing (not about music, I'm afraid), but it's more difficult in english.

Nothin' wrong wi' yir english mate. ken whit ah mean?

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: September 09, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »

Nothin' wrong wi' yir english mate. ken whit ah mean?

Aye , just like there is nothing wrong with your Scot's. .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 28, 2018, 06:17:54 PM »
Jasmine Records' "Jody Williams: In Session", a wonderful collection that just goes to show that Chicago in the 50s was THE place for electric blues. Williams was an outstanding guitar player (and a fine singer in his own right) that lent his skills to many of the windy city's household names.

In fact, there are some well known numbers here (from Billy Boy Arnold's "I wish you would" to William's pal Bo Diddley's "Who do you love?"), but what mostly draws attention here and makes the comp worthy is the consistent quality of efforts credited to Williams himself or lesser names as Harold Burrage or Bobby Davis. Two Williams' tunes -"You may" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6GNkvYnigY) and "Lucky lou", the riff of which was lifted by Otis Rush no less- are bona fide classics, the former a brilliant "memento mori" up there with Johnny Guitar Watson's "You Can't Take it with You".

It's ironic, and somewhat sad, that Williams left the music business in the early 60s disillusioned after he didn't get credit for the riff of Mickey & Sylvia's "Love is Strange", that he'd devised for an early Billy Stewart's 45. Anyway, his is an impressing legacy.