Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 300217 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1560 on: November 06, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
For me GRAVITY and MAY LOVE TRAVEL WITH YOU are the stand outs on the new Weller album but there is a generally nice feel to the whole thing. To be honest probably preferred SATURNS PATTERNS but not much to fault it over all.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: November 06, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »
I like the Weller album a lot. During the summer he was on a couple of radio shows, just him & guitar, and I had misgivings: I thought it was going to be as leaden and lackluster as Days of Speed was but the string arrangements really do add so much to it. I think it's best listened to the whole way through as it flows nicely. Suits the autumnal weather as well.
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 16, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
The Lucid Dream - Actualisation. Great review on Monkey's blog about this one.
Primal Scream - Give Out...original Memphis recordings. Much prefer this to the '94 version. Much more rootsy.
Various - St. Etienne present songs for the Carnegie Deli. There's something I find just fantastic about those NYC Brill Building big production songs of the 60s and this one ticks the boxes.

Ady,

A wee bit late but the story of the Memphis recordings is on BBC 4 at 9 tonight.

It's followed by a programme about David Rodigan and then one about Reggae. The beers are chilling nicely for this.

I'm sure they'll be available on BBC sounds/ iPlayer in future also.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: November 22, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »
Primal Scream - Give Out...original Memphis recordings. Much prefer this to the '94 version. Much more rootsy.
Various - St. Etienne present songs for the Carnegie Deli. There's something I find just fantastic about those NYC Brill Building big production songs of the 60s and this one ticks the boxes.

Ady,

A wee bit late but the story of the Memphis recordings is on BBC 4 at 9 tonight.

It's followed by a programme about David Rodigan and then one about Reggae. The beers are chilling nicely for this.

Just watched it on iPlayer, very revealing documentary. Not sure what would be my fave Bob Marley b-side would be, though... ;D

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 23, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

Ady,

Just watched it on iPlayer, very revealing documentary. Not sure what would be my fave Bob Marley b-side would be, though... ;D

Noel G is usually good value on these sorts of things, shame he releases such turgid sh*te these days. Doc was very good, I thought, quite intimate and I'm pretty sure I saw Bobby crack a smile more than once! Good to hear the remaining members give Throb Young the credit he deserves, guy was a great guitar player. Subsequently disappointed to note that the very talented Denise Johnson doesn't get a credit on the Memphis recordings. Poor form from somebody in the Scream team  >:(
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 25, 2018, 01:19:33 AM »
A good watch Doc,band were on fire then. Bobbys right in saying that the probably won't better it.
Denise is quoted on film a few times on this,as she was a big part of it, im sure she'll get the payment/credit she deserves.  ;)

Ady, aye laughed at that.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 25, 2018, 07:51:03 AM »
A good watch Doc,band were on fire then. Bobbys right in saying that the probably won't better it.
Denise is quoted on film a few times on this,as she was a big part of it, im sure she'll get the payment/credit she deserves.  ;)

Ady, aye laughed at that.
I laughed when Noel G said they went to the warehouse where Creation had all their stock and where told they could have any records they wanted. "Already got Screamadelica. Why would I want a BMX Bandits 12 inch?"

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 25, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »
Did a gig with the BMX Bandits years ago Ady,nice guys but not my thing music wise.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 28, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »
Mann Made - Manfred Mann. Saw the Manfreds live last night (special guest - Georgie Fame) and bought a copy on vinyl which was kindly autographed. Tom McGuinness said there's something very satisfying about weighty vinyl (agreed). Told Paul Jones that I'm a fan of Privilege. "My word, you've actually seen that film?!" he chuckled. Very well spoken, articulate man: the Nigel Havers of R n B !  :)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 28, 2018, 05:16:34 PM »
Mann Made - Manfred Mann. Saw the Manfreds live last night (special guest - Georgie Fame) and bought a copy on vinyl which was kindly autographed. Tom McGuinness said there's something very satisfying about weighty vinyl (agreed). Told Paul Jones that I'm a fan of Privilege. "My word, you've actually seen that film?!" he chuckled. Very well spoken, articulate man: the Nigel Havers of R n B !  :)

Green with envy, Ady! The Manfreds with Georgie Fame, wow. A pity mr Mann himself isn't touring with them, but he's seemingly busy with the umpteenth Manfred Mann's Earth Band's reunion.

Mann Made is a great album, BTW, with one of the coolest instros ever recorded: The abominable snowman.

I have to disagree with you re. Privilege, tho': in spite of its undeniable period charm and its curio value, it's not a good film and Paul Jones acting is pitiful, IMO. In fact, he's the only guy I've watched who's guilty of overacting and underacting in the same movie. No wonder his acting career went nowhere. The bloke's pretty good at singing and playin' the harp, tho'.