Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 356628 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1600 on: February 10, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
Prince Buster, Lets Go To the Dance, Limited edition rare rocksteady , very good album ,no fillers ,definately worth the score for 20 rare tracks

There were some outstanding PB ska/rocksteady albums issued in the UK during the 60s, I can't figure out why any label has bothered to reissue all of them -I've just got a couple of bootleg reissues- or at least assemble a decent compilation of his blue beat output (why not a lavish box-set, copyright issues?). If I'm not mistaken, the record you've got includes other jamaican vocalists, which isn't a bad thing per se, but I'd prefer a record focused on the Prince.

pie and mash

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 10, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
yeah ,there are 5 of the 20 tunes ,by the Prince himself the rest are ones he produced ,but there are some very big hitters there by the likes of Dawn Penn Hortense Ellis and Erroll Dunkley . Not the sort of stuff you get on the usual compilations ,it has certainly made a good addition to my Rocksteady collection

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 10, 2019, 06:02:08 PM »
yeah ,there are 5 of the 20 tunes ,by the Prince himself the rest are ones he produced ,but there are some very big hitters there by the likes of Dawn Penn Hortense Ellis and Erroll Dunkley . Not the sort of stuff you get on the usual compilations ,it has certainly made a good addition to my Rocksteady collection

If -like me- you're interested in instrumental rocksteady, this upcoming reissue (CD only, I'm afraid) will fit the bill nicely, with lots of obscure tunes by the great Tommy McCook post-Skatalites band and a handful of classic numbers:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/various-artists-greatest-jamaican-beat-expanded-edition/

Cherry Red have reissued some Treasure Isle's ska LPs on CD too, but the bloody discs wouldn't play in my CD player so I had to return them, twice!!

pie and mash

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 14, 2019, 08:52:40 PM »
The second disc and bonus tracks ,certainly looks interesting . Love a bit of well done Rocksteady
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:54:44 PM by pie and mash »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 15, 2019, 10:08:34 AM »
The second disc and bonus tracks ,certainly looks interesting . Love a bit of well done Rocksteady

To me, rocksteady is the peak of Jamaican popular music. That lazy beat, the soul influences, guitar, electric bass and organ at the forefront... everything adds up to create a timeless sound.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: February 15, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
Currently listening to 'The Essential Motown Northern Soul' 3CD in the car whilst travelling to and from work.

I already knew a lot of the tracks but there were still quite a few of these that were new to me.  The quality is fantastic and at 5 (yes, 5 for 3 CD's) is outstanding value for money.  I got my copy from Tesco, of all places, but I see it's also available from Amazon at an even more outstanding value for money price of 4.99 (plus p&p unless you've got Prime or spend over 20 in total)

Well worth getting IMHO.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 15, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
Currently listening to 'The Essential Motown Northern Soul' 3CD in the car whilst travelling to and from work.

I already knew a lot of the tracks but there were still quite a few of these that were new to me.  The quality is fantastic and at 5 (yes, 5 for 3 CD's) is outstanding value for money.  I got my copy from Tesco, of all places, but I see it's also available from Amazon at an even more outstanding value for money price of 4.99 (plus p&p unless you've got Prime or spend over 20 in total)

Well worth getting IMHO.

Back in the 7ts they released 20 Motown Mod Classics Vol1 and Vol2 both on vinyl of course but they never did appear on CD as far as l know which was a pity as they were outsanding compilations. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 15, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »
I recently bought this one and whilst l already had many of the tracks on it , there is also the occassional little gem I hadn't got before , including a Secret Affair live track (if you like that kind of thing). .
4.99 for 5 Cd's 100 toons. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »

Well worth getting IMHO.

Back in the 7ts they released 20 Motown Mod Classics Vol1 and Vol2 both on vinyl of course but they never did appear on CD as far as l know which was a pity as they were outsanding compilations. .

Yeah I've still got one of those; the one with the union jack cover as opposed to the 'Mod' roundel.  As you say, some great tracks on there.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: February 15, 2019, 09:23:49 PM »
I recently bought this one and whilst l already had many of the tracks on it , there is also the occassional little gem I hadn't got before , including a Secret Affair live track (if you like that kind of thing). .
4.99 for 5 Cd's 100 toons. .

There's lots of those type of cheap multi-CD collections about which are usually great entry level compilations.  There's nothing wrong with them, but the one I mentioned is different in that a lot of the tracks don't seem to appear on many other CDs.

Oh yes, nothing wrong with Secret Affair. I've got lots of their stuff on vinyl; I even went to see them last year in Sheffield.