Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 384916 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1680 on: November 03, 2019, 02:32:26 AM »
Sisters of Your Sunshine Vapor
Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderly
Yuseff Lateff "The Gentle Giant"
The Brand New Heavies "TBNH"
John Coltrane "Blue World"
The Jam "Snap!" reissue
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: November 04, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »
Got Frank Wess on my Dansette  Monarch... fantastic album - I Hear Ya Talkin’ , from Van Gelder recording studio in New Jersery, 1959. Widely regarded as the first jazz flautist to record extensively, just before Herbie Mann, Budd Shank etc and he’s an alto/tenor player too. Curtis Fuller on trombone.....
On pile to play: Freewheelers -The Peddlers, Today/Tomorrow/Forever - Nancy Wilson, Wave - Antonio Carlos Jobim, Ridin’ High - The Impressions (just superb version of It’s Not Unusual on this album. When Curtis sings....”to be loved by anyone......” it could bring a tear to a glass eye!).
Enjoy your evening all. Nick (Tintin)

Eclectic and cool as you like it, bravo sir. BTW, I love the Peddlers' stuff, talk about an underrated band. I guess their firtations with cabaret didn't help with the critics, but when the jazz element prevails they're great (some good pop songs too)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: November 04, 2019, 10:01:43 AM »
Sisters of Your Sunshine Vapor
Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderly
Yuseff Lateff "The Gentle Giant"
The Brand New Heavies "TBNH"
John Coltrane "Blue World"
The Jam "Snap!" reissue

Ditto, Mike, superb selection.  8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: November 28, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »
While I'm eagerly awaiting Ian's annual "Best albums of the year" list, I'm positive about which one will occupy the top slot of MY list this 2019 we're leaving behind: Paul Orwell's "Smut", a no-filler LP that shows a huge talent steadily developing and a distinct evolution from his earlier stuff.

"Smut" is the album in which the gifted Orwell transcends his perceived role as a mere revivalist and presents his credentials as a hard-to-pigeonhole musical genius, with a highly personal voice that his earlier recordings only hinted at. The influences are still there but he has opened the palette exponentially -'79 new wave, music-hall, glam rock, psych, Lou Reed...- in a concoction that can be only Orwell's. All done in a effortles & powerful way, with no-nonsense production values and masterful, understated arrangements (I'm still discovering layers of guitars, keyboards or vocals that went unnoticed on earlier hearings).

I'm sure it'll be worth following Orwell's next steps, as I reckon he still has plenty room to improve. In fact, he's recording now what could be his masterpiece (by his own admission, and I trust him), a double LP with the tentative title of "Acid Goth", an apt description of where his music seems to be heading to.

Currently listening to another great record, Michael Kiwanuka's eponymous last album. Not as great as his last masterpiece, "Love & Hate", IMHO, but in a class of its own. If you know KW, you know what to expect: here are the lushy, majestic arrangements again, and that idyosincratic blend of soul/pop that's all his own, and of course the velvety voice and thoughtful lyrics. 

And last but not least, an endorsement: this Trojan 3-CD, 84-tracks comp of Duke Reid-produced 1964-66 ska tunes is the best value for money you're likely to get, not just because of the 14 sterling price, but because a lot of what's here was previously unissued (hence the subtitle "Treasure Isle Ska Rarities", so it's essential buying even for the serious reggae aficionados. And as you can expect from Duke Reid stuff the quality standard is remarkable. This new comp is based in a previous 7' Trojan boxset that included just 20 tracks at thrice the price.