Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 528925 times)

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1760 on: October 14, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »
Loving the David Bowie 1966 Pye singles.  Yeah, I Dig Everything 😀
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: October 14, 2020, 04:39:21 PM »
Loving the David Bowie 1966 Pye singles.  Yeah, I Dig Everything 😀

Good stuff

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: October 25, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »
What do you do on a wet miserable Sunday with nothing much to do? Music,that's what.
Listening to a selection from the Byrds There is a Season box set. Always had a soft spot for them and as I've gotten older started to really appreciate them.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: October 25, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »
What do you do on a wet miserable Sunday with nothing much to do? Music,that's what.
Listening to a selection from the Byrds There is a Season box set. Always had a soft spot for them and as I've gotten older started to really appreciate them.

I've always loved them, since I first heard "Mr Tambourine Man" on a cheap 60s K-Tel comp (where I also discovered the Small Faces, the Hollies and the Lovin' Spoonful, among others; not bad for a cheapo cassette, uh?) as a 13 or 14 years old kid.

Later I graduated to a Spanish edition of their first LP, lost to the mists of time or to a "friend", which is a pity as it possibly commands quite a few bucks today. Little by little I got all their stuff (LPs only, I'm not a 45s collector) up till 1970 or 71. But the cream of the crop, to me at least, is, without the slightest doubt, '67's "Younger than Yesterday", one of the best 33 rpms ever recorded. I have a soft spot for their 'comeback' '73 LP too.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: October 26, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »

I've always loved them, since I first heard "Mr Tambourine Man" on a cheap 60s K-Tel comp (where I also discovered the Small Faces, the Hollies and the Lovin' Spoonful, among others; not bad for a cheapo cassette, uh?) as a 13 or 14 years old kid.

Later I graduated to a Spanish edition of their first LP, lost to the mists of time or to a "friend", which is a pity as it possibly commands quite a few bucks today. Little by little I got all their stuff (LPs only, I'm not a 45s collector) up till 1970 or 71. But the cream of the crop, to me at least, is, without the slightest doubt, '67's "Younger than Yesterday", one of the best 33 rpms ever recorded. I have a soft spot for their 'comeback' '73 LP too.

Totally agree with you about Younger than Yesterday. It's definitely their finest album. I also like David Crosbys first solo, If only I could Remember my Name.
I've pretty much most of the Byrds albums now including their Preflyte early stuff but don't own Sweetheart of the Rodeo as I simply don't like it.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: October 26, 2020, 09:50:06 AM »

Totally agree with you about Younger than Yesterday. It's definitely their finest album. I also like David Crosbys first solo, If only I could Remember my Name.
I've pretty much most of the Byrds albums now including their Preflyte early stuff but don't own Sweetheart of the Rodeo as I simply don't like it.

The Crosby LP is one of the best things he's done, haunting and atmospheric, he's a wonderful vocalist too and it shows throughout.

I admit "Sweetheart..." meant a major departure from their earlier stuff, as Gram Parsons shared almost lead duties with McGuinn on that and turned the band into a country-rock outfit. That's one of the albums I got as a cheap Spanish reissue when I was quite young (but I kept this one), and if I wasn't entirely convinced at the moment, it grew steadily on me and now I rate it as a great LP, only it's not typical of the Byrds' output, the odd one really. You've got to like country-rock to appreciate it, mind you (I do).

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: October 26, 2020, 12:57:47 PM »
@greenstreet,
I might even buy Sweetheart at some stage, even if it's just to complete the collection. I really rate Crosby and do quite like him with Stills,Nash and Young too. Neil's Ohio being a particular highlight.
Do you own the book So You Wanna be a Rock n Roll Star? Day by day, day in the life of the Byrds.
I'm in a kinda LA mood so thinking about Love's Da Capo.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:59:52 PM by Mo »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: October 26, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »
@greenstreet,
I might even buy Sweetheart at some stage, even if it's just to complete the collection. I really rate Crosby and do quite like him with Stills,Nash and Young too. Neil's Ohio being a particular highlight.
Do you own the book So You Wanna be a Rock n Roll Star? Day by day, day in the life of the Byrds.
Don't overlook the LP "The 5th Dimension" w/ "8 Miles High" on it.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: October 26, 2020, 03:57:56 PM »
@greenstreet,
Don't overlook the LP "The 5th Dimension" w/ "8 Miles High" on it.

I'd never do that. Quality album for sure. What's Happening and I see you are gems.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: October 26, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
 Got this on vinyl a while ago. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im-BKTX7lns
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!