Author Topic: What Are You Currently Listening To?  (Read 578931 times)

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Listening To?
« Reply #1870 on: December 11, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
I was brought up on a diet of Motown, 60s & 70s soul, R&B, reggae, The Beatles, The Who, Dylan etc. So my parents music covers a great deal of what is traditionally considered to be ‘Mod’ music (probably with the notable exception of Jazz). When I first got into 2-Tone/revival ska as a kid, the first music I got into myself which was ‘mine’, my mum would tell me who did the originals of the covers!  They quite liked the Jam at the time as well and came to a Weller gig at Audley End House a few years back.  They’re also massively into Bruce Springsteen which isn’t really my bag but I can appreciate it and It’s better than being into the likes of Michael Bubble or Cliff Richard.

I quite agree with Mo and Rafa SFF is probably my favourite ever song, period. If you’d have asked me 20 years ago I’d probably have said my favourite band was the Action. After being a Beatles obsessive as a teen I went through a misguided phase of overlooking them in favour of obscure acts. In recent years I’ve come to reappraise my love of the Beatles and, if asked, I would happily cite them as my favourite band, the range of their recorded output (lasting only about 6 years) was phenomenal. So what if they were/are popular, for once the taste of the general public in music was spot on!

I hit the Beatles very very hard in the mid 70s and like you, then looked for other 60s groups, some obscure some not. Before that though, I was well into the Monkees. Still think Pleasant Valley Sunday is brilliant. Then it was the Small Faces, the Creation, the Action,the Eyes etc. Like a breath of fresh air. Never looked back since.
As for the Beatles again, Lennons output on Revolver.......  amazing.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: December 11, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »

SFF still gets me. Especially when I watch the video in glorious hd,Rafa.

Mo: In fact, that clip is one of the most fascinating Beatles visual documents out there, it conveys superbly the psychedelic vibe of the era. As iconic as their Chiswick's "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" clip.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: December 11, 2020, 05:59:42 PM »
I was brought up on a diet of Motown, 60s & 70s soul, R&B, reggae, The Beatles, The Who, Dylan etc. So my parents music covers a great deal of what is traditionally considered to be ‘Mod’ music (probably with the notable exception of Jazz). When I first got into 2-Tone/revival ska as a kid, the first music I got into myself which was ‘mine’, my mum would tell me who did the originals of the covers!  They quite liked the Jam at the time as well and came to a Weller gig at Audley End House a few years back.  They’re also massively into Bruce Springsteen which isn’t really my bag but I can appreciate it and It’s better than being into the likes of Michael Bubble or Cliff Richard.

I quite agree with Mo and Rafa SFF is probably my favourite ever song, period. If you’d have asked me 20 years ago I’d probably have said my favourite band was the Action. After being a Beatles obsessive as a teen I went through a misguided phase of overlooking them in favour of obscure acts. In recent years I’ve come to reappraise my love of the Beatles and, if asked, I would happily cite them as my favourite band, the range of their recorded output (lasting only about 6 years) was phenomenal. So what if they were/are popular, for once the taste of the general public in music was spot on!

I hit the Beatles very very hard in the mid 70s and like you, then looked for other 60s groups, some obscure some not. Before that though, I was well into the Monkees. Still think Pleasant Valley Sunday is brilliant. Then it was the Small Faces, the Creation, the Action,the Eyes etc. Like a breath of fresh air. Never looked back since.
As for the Beatles again, Lennons output on Revolver.......  amazing.

Amen to everything (well, I discovered the Fab Four a bit later, late 70s)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: December 11, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »

maybe l would have made a good A&R man back in the day 🤣😇😉

Me too, Simon. That intro sells the track pretty well.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: December 14, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »
Was Just reminded that I'm on this show tonight if you want to hear me talk a load of B******ks.  ;D

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: December 14, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »
Was Just reminded that I'm on this show tonight if you want to hear me talk a load of B******ks.  ;D

Yep, I know the station, Adam, I'll try to listen to the show during the week. I'm sure you'll do it in style, but as the saying goes: break your leg!!!  ;)

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 14, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Was unaware of this show. Giving it a listen right now.
Sam Cooke kicking off.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 18, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »

Good 'un, Adam!

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 02, 2021, 11:42:53 AM »
Haven't played any of The Action for a while now so........
A delightful video with the wonderful Anna Karina.

https://youtu.be/QAmu72SkCVM

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 02, 2021, 11:56:45 AM »
Haven't played any of The Action for a while now so........
A delightful video with the wonderful Anna Karina.

https://youtu.be/QAmu72SkCVM

cool (and great tune)