Author Topic: Craig Charles 'Funk and Soul' night Brixton sat 19 july  (Read 1358 times)

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
Craig Charles 'Funk and Soul' night Brixton sat 19 july
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
So I see that Craig Charles is djing at the Brixton Jamm in south London and think "I like his radio show which always has good tunes so lets go for a knees up" and off I set with my good lady.
The venue is nice and grungy (I've been there for acid techno nights) and I expected good things. However, it all went a bit wierd. There was a heavy rock/metal band playing in the main room and a dj playing crap hip-hop in the other. Not quite the warm-up for a funk and soul night I expected. Then a rap/funk band played followed by silence for 20 mins (at a dancing club venue!) and finally Craig Charles himself. He started by playing a bad funk version of 'constant sorrow' from 'Oh brother where art thou' for 15 mins! It then went downhill with him acting like a complete cock, as if he was a superstar dj, walking around in front of the decks as if he could play anything and get away with it. If the crown aren't dancing Mr dj it should tell you something. Then more awful tunes. With the whole world of funk and soul to choose from I could not believe it and we left shaking our heads in shock. What a shambles of a night. Stick to Coronation St Craig.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Col Wolfe

• East Anglia
    • View Profile
    • >>> Spoke Records <<<
Re: Craig Charles 'Funk and Soul' night Brixton sat 19 july
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:40 AM »
Thanks for reminding me to revisit a favourite YouTube clip

http://youtu.be/jTLWQQvZcu4

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
Yes that's pretty much what he was like but without the Hammond organ tunes. I'm not against being off your face but you do need to keep the crowd dancing.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

Soulstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
Ah, that's really disappointing to hear. I've got really into his show again over the past year or so and I was half thinking about trying to get to one of the smaller nights (like the boat party). Think I'll give it a miss.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »
I, too, have really gotten into his radio show, generally a great mix of music. Sound's like he isn't disciplined enough to deliver a quality show in a live environment. Get caned if you wish, but keep your sh*t together enough to entertain the paying punters
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot