Author Topic: You Tube thread  (Read 32628 times)

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: You Tube thread
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2016, 07:23:58 PM »
I have a Moody Blues greatest hits album , Sydney but to be honest I have rarely played it over the many years I have had it . I always felt that they were a band I could take or leave. .
Me as well, Simon: one of those bands that I'm indifferent too.  I do, however, really like Denny Laine's first (?) single
https://youtu.be/Ix0hrEWqSck
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
Indeed, Sydney. I'm aware they went through some changes , like a few bands from that time. Goodness , look how much the Who sound changed , even when they had the same personnel !! I think I bought their disc more from the point of view that I remembered their stuff from when I was much younger . Was never really a fan of their stuff . Even watching them on that video, I thought they looked a bit daft , however ,they did achieve a lot of success. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »
Ady, I agree, a fine song, have you heard the Colin Blunstone cover? If I'm not mistaken he had a huge UK hit with it. BTW that clip is unbelievable, the man is high as a kite!!! And that jacket...

Simon, as I said, they had their moments, but there given the many great bands in the 60s that went nowhere, I find disproportionate the Moodies success.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2016, 07:37:01 PM »
I have a Moody Blues greatest hits album , Sydney but to be honest I have rarely played it over the many years I have had it . I always felt that they were a band I could take or leave. .
Me as well, Simon: one of those bands that I'm indifferent too.  I do, however, really like Denny Laine's first (?) single
https://youtu.be/Ix0hrEWqSck

Yes , it has a sort of Beatles quality to it . Actually, during the long range shot at the start I was thinking John Lennon was in that building.  :D

Denny Laine was never much of player for me and even in his Wings days he seemed to be completely overshadowed. Only an opinion, I actually favour this version. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdBXJyAo0E

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »
Ady, I agree, a fine song, have you heard the Colin Blunstone cover? If I'm not mistaken he had a huge UK hit with it. BTW that clip is unbelievable, the man is high as a kite!!! And that jacket...

Simon, as I said, they had their moments, but there given the many great bands in the 60s that went nowhere, I find disproportionate the Moodies success.

Indeed, 200% Sydney! Cliff Bennett for instance , sold a mere fraction of what the Moodies did. Definitely not right but some of it is obviously luck and being in the right place at the right time . .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
BTW, Cliff Bennett wouldn't be allowed nowadays to appear in a TV show, not without an orthodontic treatment. But the man could sing. In a fairer world, the Mike Cotton Sound, for instance, would have been huge, but they're a great band for me and that's what really counts.

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »

Yeah, I've got the Colin Bluntstone version on a "psychedelic rock" compilation. 
I first read about the Denny Laine version back in the late 90s in Mojo magazine.  A regular feature at the time was called "home taping" where a musician would put together a mix tape and then write a couple of sentences about each song.  Paul Weller's compilation had this tune on it and I thought, I must search this one out.  This was pre YouTube / Internet ubiquity so it took some finding...

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2016, 01:20:20 AM »

Yeah, I've got the Colin Bluntstone version on a "psychedelic rock" compilation. 
I first read about the Denny Laine version back in the late 90s in Mojo magazine.  A regular feature at the time was called "home taping" where a musician would put together a mix tape and then write a couple of sentences about each song.  Paul Weller's compilation had this tune on it and I thought, I must search this one out.  This was pre YouTube / Internet ubiquity so it took some finding...

Good post. .

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2016, 09:49:55 AM »
 I heard the Dexy's version first but Cliff Bennett's is excellent , usual Bennett quality . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpDPH_uxs4

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
I heard the Dexy's version first but Cliff Bennett's is excellent , usual Bennett quality . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpDPH_uxs4
Dexy's and Bennett's are both good version but I do prefer The Drifters' version: the rhythm section and vocal delivery are a shade more relaxed which makes it just a little slinkier if you know what I mean.  I have this version on Good Times, probably my favourite Kent compilation.  It's more or less full of stuff from Atlantic and Stax and this is the last track on side two.