Author Topic: The Parka  (Read 14536 times)

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
The Parka
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
Ask any none-mod to think of an item of clothing that defines mods and chances are they'll say the Parka. What they'll not know is that it's a  huge point of contention within the scene. Some of us love 'em, some wouldn't be seen dead in one, but is this simply down to taste or is it something else? We all know they were originally a practical item to protect from grease/dirt but does this alone omit them from the wardrobe? Do you wear one? If not, why not?

Neil Lee

• Clothes, Football, Scooters & Music in that order.
    • View Profile
    • Gettin' To The Point
Re: The Parka
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Ask any none-mod to think of an item of clothing that defines mods and chances are they'll say the Parka. What they'll not know is that it's a  huge point of contention within the scene. Some of us love 'em, some wouldn't be seen dead in one, but is this simply down to taste or is it something else? We all know they were originally a practical item to protect from grease/dirt but does this alone omit them from the wardrobe? Do you wear one? If not, why not?

Last Friday and Saturday in Leeds it snowed like a scene from 'Empire Strikes Back'.

I wore my Parka to go to the shops. About the only time I do wear it when it snows.
The New Unsociable’s Present

“Gettin’ To The Point”

https://www.facebook.com/events/399848387194193/

hipshaker

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
i had one when in 1979 when i was 14, although i'm pretty sure it was a German army one rather than fishtail as i couldn't find one.

i have got a north face parka for the cold weather now. wouldn't really wear an army surplus fishtail, even on the scooter (got quite a nice tucano urbano jacket for that when needed).

saw a bloke wearing a fishtail the other morning on the ay to work, full length union jack on the back .......... on his pushbike.

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
saw a bloke wearing a fishtail the other morning on the ay to work, full length union jack on the back .......... on his pushbike.

;D

I have an M65 which I love. With some smart trousers and my desert boots, it's a style-classic. I know it puts some mods off because it's a little 'obvious' or 'clichéd' by to put it simply..I don't care  :P

I like to wear it without the hood attached and other than maybe a tiny button badge on the front, I leave it free from patches/Union Jacks, etc. I know some can't stick Liam, so ignore that it's him, but I just love this look:

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »
Think they work for kids if thats the look you are going for, but anyone over the age of 30, a parka looks a bit silly.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture

Ade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:52:06 PM »
Think they work for kids if thats the look you are going for, but anyone over the age of 30, a parka looks a bit silly.

Steered clear of parkas since the eighties probably because they're too much a reminder of the earnest but naive sartorial howlers I was making back then (a gruesome pair of red, white and blue bowling shoes spring to mind!). But must admit I recently found myself digging out my M51 when off out in the cold on my scoot. By Christ I'd forgotten how warm it was - partly, I think, because it covers the upper leg. Know what you mean about feeling silly though. Even though its plain and unpatched I won't wear it unless I am in spitting distance of my scooter or carrying a helmet and striding purposefully to or from it!
Shake it like a bowl o' soup....

John D

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »
was in Belfast during the week doing a bit of "Shapping" (as they say here)
everybody , mainly girls/women were wearing some form of Parka , most being fishtails..
time to put them to the back of the wardrobe I think ..
at least till they go out of fashion

and even then only while riding a scoot
always check out the shoes

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
I'm 29 in 2 weeks, so it sounds like my Parka wearing is safe for another 12 months at least..

A serious point though, I look very young (I still get asked for ID on occasion) so hopefully I'll be able to pull off a similar look for a few years yet.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:07:32 AM »
i have a black Ice station zebra style down parka, with a fur trimmed hood I bought in canada that is my winter coat.  not dissimular to the north face parkas mentioned previously.  i think its as near as id dare go to a proper one.  mind you i like a bit of surplus.  i have an overhead smock jacket that is basically JTGs scoot jacket in beige (although not from them).  which i like as a summer hint to the parka, but again...id go no closer than that
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
Liam Gallagher, an excellent example of why not to wear a parka. Get yourselves a mac guys
Do it well