Author Topic: The Parka  (Read 15254 times)

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
Re: The Parka
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
Thoughtful viewpoint Penny.

I have to say that I quite like the look of a parka on a woman though - not sure why.  Maybe it's because I was a certain age when I first saw Quadrophenia and Leslie Ash.

Having said that, I do think that the right parka, worn in the right way by the right person can look good, male or female (I don't own one personally)

Thanks!

And you know what, if I came across a Parka that I liked and looked good, I'd get it. Plain and simple :) Right now, I like my black pea coat.

Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
I actually had a Canada Goose one delivered initially (no stckists anywhere near me) but didn't feel it fitted right and got a bit squeamish about the real fur hood bit. In the end I went to the north face shop at Bicester, got it for a reasonable price as I recall .. And was able to try a few on.

i have a black Ice station zebra style down parka, with a fur trimmed hood I bought in canada that is my winter coat.  not dissimular to the north face parkas mentioned previously.  i think its as near as id dare go to a proper one.  mind you i like a bit of surplus.  i have an overhead smock jacket that is basically JTGs scoot jacket in beige (although not from them).  which i like as a summer hint to the parka, but again...id go no closer than that

Not sure i even know what brand mine is.  certainly no one that exists in the UK.
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »

I have to say that I quite like the look of a parka on a woman though - not sure why.  Maybe it's because I was a certain age when I first saw Quadrophenia and Leslie Ash.

Having said that, I do think that the right parka, worn in the right way by the right person can look good, male or female (I don't own one personally)

Thanks!

And you know what, if I came across a Parka that I liked and looked good, I'd get it. Plain and simple :) Right now, I like my black pea coat.

Totally agree with them looking much better on women/girls than on blokes. Bought my wife a genuine M65 for her birthday last December and she loves it, plus looks fantastic in it too. Every time I've tried one on, I've laughed and put it back on the rail. I think as pointed out before, that when you hit a certain age they just don't look right.

MWC

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
I have an M51 and M65. Both are absolutely brilliant when out on the scooter. However I tend to steer clear when I'm out and about and go for a mac or a crombie. They can look brilliant or horrendous...
Www.modernworldclothing.co.uk

@ModernWorldUK

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
Liam Gallagher, an excellent example of why not to wear a parka. Get yourselves a mac guys

....exactly.......

Modracer

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
Love my Barbour Baltic Parka, not because the link with the fishtail parkas of my youth. Just very warm and snug and has kept me warm during these last few months.

6236bob

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
During the Winter Months I decided to buy this Parka...

Kept me warm during the Extra winter months and was ideally priced.
Gotta admit though it is a bit bulky and with English weather changing its mind all the time its like carrying a barrel bag around.
The Mod Revival.

Kassidari

• View Profile
    • Picture Atlantic
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »

Basically, wear something because you WANT to, not because you feel you need to. Wear something because it looks smart and you feel good in it, not to 'belong.' It's a hard line, right? We are categorizing ourselves as 'Mod' and that does include specific ways of looking, I totally get that. I have a hair cut that feel right out of 1964, but I have it because that is a style that looks good on me and I like it. I think I'd have this kind of hair style even if I didn't think of myself as a Mod.

It's a huge can of worms.. :)

So well said. Can't agree more.I have a Parka because it gets cold and a bit rainy in my hometown, and sometimes I like to wear it to keep warm and dry. I think of it more as a seasonal thing. I have a great, sharper, smarter coat for about every other situation, but I wear my parka because I like the way it looks. Before I was a Mod I dug the way a parka looked as a kid, and I will always have that preference.

roel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
i have a parka. i wear it when its cold outside.

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 10:46:24 PM »

Thanks!

Totally agree with them looking much better on women/girls than on blokes. Bought my wife a genuine M65 for her birthday last December and she loves it, plus looks fantastic in it too. Every time I've tried one on, I've laughed and put it back on the rail. I think as pointed out before, that when you hit a certain age they just don't look right.

You know, I will agree with you there, they do look better on us ladies as we get, ahem, older.

I'm in my early 30s and they look good on me, just haven't found one I adored.
Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes