Author Topic: The Parka  (Read 14858 times)

RBsmallfaces

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The Parka
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
I am definitely a fan of the Parka. Own a M65 myself. However it does get tiresome being repeatedly called LG by un-cultured knob ends who always seem to find it funny. I personally like LG, but that's not why I wear a parka...

Skaa

• Viva Hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
They're in fashion (as is the military look in general) so a parka is off limits for me currently. As were desert boots last year, so I'll have to wait a decent amount of time before dusting them off. Such a shame. However, monkey boots haven't found their place on the high street as yet, so I'm alright for the time being.

Little Johnny Smedley

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
would not wear an army parka anymore, but i also didn't drive a scooter and i'm over 30 already   ;)

But have an navy APC parka for the colder month, which is a version of the classic parka.

reading this thread, i remember my childhood in eastern germany, where a bigger subculture called "Blueser" exists. Their "uniform" was an army parka, jeans and suede shoes. It was more a Hippie/Rock kind of thing, nothing to do with mod, lookwise completely different, but interesting to see how similar wardrobe items can create such a different look.

hatters

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 10:39:18 PM »
Think they work for kids if thats the look you are going for, but anyone over the age of 30, a parka looks a bit silly.

Yeah. what he said. Mind you,  I wish I was young enough to still make that look work. Most patches (and all painted logos) look shocking though IMO.

Mike

hipshaker

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 07:03:14 AM »
I actually had a Canada Goose one delivered initially (no stckists anywhere near me) but didn't feel it fitted right and got a bit squeamish about the real fur hood bit. In the end I went to the north face shop at Bicester, got it for a reasonable price as I recall .. And was able to try a few on.

i have a black Ice station zebra style down parka, with a fur trimmed hood I bought in canada that is my winter coat.  not dissimular to the north face parkas mentioned previously.  i think its as near as id dare go to a proper one.  mind you i like a bit of surplus.  i have an overhead smock jacket that is basically JTGs scoot jacket in beige (although not from them).  which i like as a summer hint to the parka, but again...id go no closer than that

Bandito

• “Style is the perfection of a point of view.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
would not wear an army parka anymore, but i also didn't drive a scooter and i'm over 30 already   ;)

But have an navy APC parka for the colder month, which is a version of the classic parka.

reading this thread, i remember my childhood in eastern germany, where a bigger subculture called "Blueser" exists. Their "uniform" was an army parka, jeans and suede shoes. It was more a Hippie/Rock kind of thing, nothing to do with mod, lookwise completely different, but interesting to see how similar wardrobe items can create such a different look.

I do like that, v nice.
“A man should look as if he had bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.”
- Hardy Amies

Jonny

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Jonny Monk Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
I had a Fjall Raven Greenland which was fantastic and well priced, however barbed wire unfortunately decided it wasn't a fan and tore a large hole down the side.

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
I get into this debate with people all the time. Being up here in cold Canada, parkas are a must. When I first got into the mod scene, I had a parka. Not a fishtail, but a heavy, green parka that had a very 'Mod' look to it. I wore that thing to death.

Now, I'm older and I don't feel that the Parka is me anymore. Mod, to me, is about style. I have some lovely pea coats and the like, and I really don't have much of a desire to own a Parka now. BUT I'm also female, and there in lies a huge difference. I suppose this is different for the males. Parkas are for sure a more 'male' article of clothing.

I guess what I get into a debate about is that sometimes Mod looks like a uniform. Yes, there are articles of clothing that always will be associated with Mod (parka, desert boots, Fred Perry's, etc). These are things that those new to the culture see, and attach to and use to show they belong.

Basically, wear something because you WANT to, not because you feel you need to. Wear something because it looks smart and you feel good in it, not to 'belong.' It's a hard line, right? We are categorizing ourselves as 'Mod' and that does include specific ways of looking, I totally get that. I have a hair cut that feel right out of 1964, but I have it because that is a style that looks good on me and I like it. I think I'd have this kind of hair style even if I didn't think of myself as a Mod.

It's a huge can of worms.. :)
Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes

Bandito

• “Style is the perfection of a point of view.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
Thoughtful viewpoint Penny.

I have to say that I quite like the look of a parka on a woman though - not sure why.  Maybe it's because I was a certain age when I first saw Quadrophenia and Leslie Ash.

Having said that, I do think that the right parka, worn in the right way by the right person can look good, male or female (I don't own one personally)

“A man should look as if he had bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.”
- Hardy Amies

Modculture

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Modculture
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
There area lot of things described as parkas, some of which are pretty damn cool. You could reel off any number of US, Japanese or European labels doing a coat called a parka, all with a heritage from the military, just taken on a bit from the originals.

But the mod military surplus variety is a 'look' and a stereotypical one at that. It's pretty much cartoon mod these days, but if that's what some people want, fair enough.

On blokes 30+, it looks ridiculous for those reasons. You'd have thought being into mod for such a long period of time would have meant an interest in or knowledge of clothing. If you don't have an interest in clothing, mod probably isn't for you.
Owner/dogsbody - Modculture