Author Topic: The Parka  (Read 15259 times)

mdw1981

• View Profile
Re: The Parka
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
I love my Parka, and living in Scotland, it gets an outing quite often. I'm not so keen on the more modern fitted parka style though. One for the kids maybe. Art Gallery Clothing do a cracking M51 style.

Little Johnny Smedley

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »
I had a Fjall Raven Greenland which was fantastic and well priced, however barbed wire unfortunately decided it wasn't a fan and tore a large hole down the side.

really like the greenland jackets. Have a "summer" version one since a few years for outdoor activities. Resistant, strong material but a classic nice look too.

Soulboy

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 04:52:48 PM »
I've got a Black Waxed Cotton Fred Perry Number for colder days, love it and often tuck in the hood out of sight, really like it, although I always find it funny that I get more 'do you think your a mod' comments from the uninitiated when wearing it, oh how i laugh......

Saffronjay

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »
I love parkas as they're pretty warm and nice looking as coat go but I'm always getting poles in my back because of the roundel, it was worse when we ha the snow. Does anyone else get this? It's the only reason I sometimes avoid mine.

Bobby Charlton

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »
When I saw this particular photo in the mid 80s:

I immediately plonked my M65 in the back of my wardrobe where it has been kept for nostalgic reasons ever since.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:11:05 PM by Bobby Charlton »

Hoxtonian

• Expat norvener
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 08:49:43 AM »
I have a modern Carhartt effort to which I added the lining from a US combat jacket for extra warmth. Only wear it in the winter when riding the scoot. Weighs a ton but keeps the cold out. Basically, fulfils its function - protects your clobber from the rain etc.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
I never cared for the M65's as they just never really looked tidy to me, but I love my Alpha Industries slimfit parka. (on the small percentage of the year that it get cold enough to wear it)
Initials B.B.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 01:48:42 PM »
I wear a parka, just not one of 'the' parkas (M51, M65). For me, they are a bit too shapeless and, adorned with badges, roundels etc, they smack of 'cartoon' mod. Purely my opinion, of course, one man's meat and all that! The one I have looks more German than US Army, pretty sure I picked it up at an outlet somewhere several years ago. Great for winter/spring scooter riding and generally for fighting the Irish weather!

Oh, and I agree, parkas do look great on the ladies!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Bespoke Gent

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
I have two prakas - both bought on or around 1985 when I was 13 - both stillin my mums 'shed', I have not worn them since about 1994 - but they would still fit as they must be 50"chest.

I would not wear on these days unless I was walking in the snow - but I have a North Face climbing coat for such extreme weather . . . Yet if I were a 13 year old Mod again I woudl have one, as for me a parka is a youngs Mod's right of passage.

M
Likes: Peter Harland Tailors - DC Bespoke Shirts - DNA GROOVE - Fender Telecaster Guitars

claudio

• Just joined
    • View Profile
    • Dna Manifattura Italiana
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
When I saw this particular photo in the mid 80s:

I immediately plonked my M65 in the back of my wardrobe where it has been kept for nostalgic reasons ever since.

EXACTLY - great example to answer this question. Doesn't this picture say it all, especially for the older gents still looking like these teenagers?