Author Topic: Duffer Of St George  (Read 6143 times)

JTH

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Duffer Of St George
« on: November 07, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
A name that might not mean much to younger posters but for some of us they were a 'go to' shop in late 80s early 90s.
Nice little fillum here.

http://vimeo.com/110877169

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
Re: Duffer Of St George
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »
there was a good interview on one of the podcast episodes that Eddie Piller does/used to do a year or two back as well

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
Nice!  I have to admit I loved some of their knitwear and jackets but it was mostly out of my price range in the late 80s/early 90s (I think a bespoke suit from Charlie in Carnaby St was cheaper!).

Does anybody else remember a TV report from about 90/91 with scenes in the Duffers shop and Barrie Sharp being interviewed, saying they were updating 60's styles with modern fabrics because the original clothes were awful quality (hmm, debatable), interspersed with Liverpool Mods, a few lads on scooters and in what looked like a vintage shop, talking about 'trendy Mods' and how Mod is a lifestyle not a fad?  It was presented by the 2 girls from the band Soho (remember Hippychick?).  I've still got a copy on VHS somewhere (I'll get round to transferring to DVD one day along with dozens of other tapes)!

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
Thanks for posting that.
Love some of the old Duffer stuff. I've still got a couple of lovely Yardie Cardies and a few other bits in my wardrobe that I still wear occaisionally.
It does annoy me when people ask where a certain piece is from and as soon as I reply "It's Duffer Of St George" they think I shop at Debenhams though!! >:(

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
Wis a cool shop until they brought oot that hoodie n' then six months later every cnut wis wearin' them.

hipshaker

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
I enjoyed that. I used to love Duffer stuff, I didn't buy it in the very early years but did from D'Arblay St and Covent Garden ....... still got a few bits packed away. I mentioned on another post I've been trying to track a short sleeve jumper that I owned but sadly  sold. I can also remember really coveting a green suede jacket (jean jacket style-ish) with button/popper down collars.

Be nice to see some photos of any Duffer items people still have.

JTH

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »
I enjoyed that. I used to love Duffer stuff, I didn't buy it in the very early years but did from D'Arblay St and Covent Garden ....... still got a few bits packed away. I mentioned on another post I've been trying to track a short sleeve jumper that I owned but sadly  sold. I can also remember really coveting a green suede jacket (jean jacket style-ish) with button/popper down collars.

Be nice to see some photos of any Duffer items people still have.
I have a couple of bits that I still wear.I bought one(of only two made)jackets at a sample sale of theirs about 15 years ago.
Some c*$t robbed it from back of my chair whilst sitting down at a gig in Water Rats a few years back.

StevePWilliams

• Dolce Far Niente
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
Haha I remember Duffer, shame they went down a strange route early 00's, selling in Debenhams etc, producing 'chavvy' clothing but the early stuff was nice.
Concilio et Labore

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
A few of the bits of Original Duffer that I still have.

hipshaker

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »
very nice. i loved the yard cardie things but they never suited me. i'll see if i can get some photos of some of the things i have later.