Author Topic: 10 tracks you wouldn’t normally hear on a Mod/Northern/Soul/Revival Club night  (Read 6664 times)

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
It's been years since I attended my last mod do, so I don't know what's being played nowadays, but in this particular instant I'd vote for David Newman's "Miss Minnie", Max Harris' "Gurney Slade" and a left field choice: the John Renbourn cover of "Sweet potato" (hey, how about the idea of an unplugged mod session?)

Max Harris, often in my playbox  :)

Love that Max Harris tune.  I've got "The Strange World of Gurney Slade" DVD (I'm an unashamedly Anthony Newley fan  ;) ) and when I heard that theme tune I thought, 'This is Mose Allison'...
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Yeah, it's got that kind of vibe.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
It's been years since I attended my last mod do, so I don't know what's being played nowadays, but in this particular instant I'd vote for David Newman's "Miss Minnie", Max Harris' "Gurney Slade" and a left field choice: the John Renbourn cover of "Sweet potato" (hey, how about the idea of an unplugged mod session?)

Max Harris, often in my playbox  :)

Love that Max Harris tune.  I've got "The Strange World of Gurney Slade" DVD (I'm an unashamedly Anthony Newley fan  ;) ) and when I heard that theme tune I thought, 'This is Mose Allison'...

So have I, Ady - years ahead of it's time (with its blatant breaching of the "fourth wall" etc.) !!

and, yep ...  the tune does have more than a passing resemblance to "Parchman Farm"

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:36:50 PM by Ian_B »
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Memphis Slim's "Banana oil", some Matt Murphy's guitar wizardry for the dancefloor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhuwMy8I6Nw

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Not stuck in the 60's