Author Topic: Man From UNCLE movie  (Read 2208 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Man From UNCLE movie
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »
So, just saw the trailer for the new Guy Ritchie movie, doing Man From UNCLE, set it '63....looks like a fun film...if it's on par with the rest of his films, probably worth seeing.
Initials B.B.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
Re: Man From UNCLE movie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:07:32 AM »
Mixed feelings.. hate remakes...loved snatch...
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:11:52 AM »
Ooo.  If i can just get over myself that might be good....
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

lammyrider

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:43:58 AM »
Hmmmm love U.N.C.L.E,hate guy richie, well hate the guy richie factor around his films. They are usually not too bad if you get past the hype

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 01:08:01 AM »
Do you like dawgs?
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
I am a big fan of the original series from childhood so have watched with interest the ups and downs of the various attempts to get a big screen adaptation of the show into cinemas over the years. When it was finally green lighted a few years back for good or bad it piqued my interest of course. A pal of mine who works in film was hired to create the holsters for the characters specifically Illya Kuryakin. He asked me to offer advice and assistance with info on the originals worn in the TV show so the people behind it were clearly 'trying' to appease fans of the original but of course have to cater to modern audiences. He told me that however the film turned out the guys clothes were quite nice and that it was definetly to be set in the 1960s. So to a degree i was and still am happy. Trailers don't give a true flavour to an entire film but go partway to create a buzz and for general audiences, particularly women who like Cavill and Hammer, will no doubt be looking forward to this. For me it looked OK as a sort of 'origin' of U.N.C.L.E. story which makes sense as the basis for what they hope will be a franchise. It does look a bit 'Austin Powers' as opposed to THE IPCRESS FILES or FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE but of course the show itself very quickly became a sort of parody of the '60s Spy genre. My issues are the use of jarring modern music (Which could just be thrown in for the trailer anyway), and the lack of the classic Goldsmith theme which they must surely have clearance to us. Also the lack of the classic logo with the network across the globe and the shadow figure of Solo. These things create a buzz and an impression which I would have thought the people behind the film wanted. Also some of the scenes do not look '60s to me either and too modern. But again it is just the first trailer so let's see and if it turns out to be crap it won't negate the originals. However very interested still
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:53:01 AM by Martin G »

Ady C

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
I agree with the points you make there, Martin, especially about the lack of classic logo and that theme tune, especially in this era of franchise identity; seems the producers have completely missed or overlooked these as they are very much trademarks of UNCLE.  The use of modern music in the trailer sullies it for me somewhat as well but I will be going to the cinema to watch this regardless.  Wonder if they'll have gadgets as well?  A two way radio transmitter stealthy disguised as a ball point pen (the phrase "Open Channel D" sticks in my mind from watching the re-runs when I was a kid so I hope so).
So, overall, I'll be happy if they can get it stylistically on a par with the OSS 117 films of recent years...

http://youtu.be/dw0tlOdn5Mc

[url][/http://youtu.be/JWsSI9nKAxkurl]
And will you shorten the sleeves, love? I'm not a gorilla.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »
Triangle badges with numbers on.....
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »
Agreed but as it seems like an 'origin' story of the CIA and KGB, and I guess other international secret service organisations, banding together against a common enemy those badges may not appear until the sequel (If we ever get one of course) Would be lovely to see them having them pinned on at the end of the movie or something though with U.N.C.L.E. having been established. Of course they need to be put on by a pretty girl at reception as the chemicals on her fingers are all part of the security process. However it doesn't stop me from wearing mine, which here and there I still do, and it is great to get a nod of recognition even if only from fans of THE ACTION or Big Audio Dynamite!