Author Topic: London hairdressers  (Read 2702 times)

Cappuccino Kid

• Just joined
    • View Profile
London hairdressers
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
Hello all

Could anybody recommend a decent hairdressers for getting a mod cut in London? I'd just discovered Drew at Milners in Bloomsbury, who did a top job, but it seems he's not there anymore. Where else will not just give me a puzzled look, and then proceed to ignore everything I've said, when I try to explain what I want?

mr_duderino

• View Profile
Re: London hairdressers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
Where else will not just give me a puzzled look, and then proceed to ignore everything I've said, when I try to explain what I want?

pretty sure that is 101 of hairdresser school.  ill ask my mates mrs to confirm. the flow chart would look something like this:

1)learn 3 basic hairstyles - the boy band, the shave it all to grade 2, and the trim.  go to 2)
2) ask customer what he wants.  go to 3), in case of error/confusion go to 4)
3)do which ever hairstyle gets you to lunch quickest/you fancy practicing before doing it properly on your boyfriend/dad
4)go to 3)
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
ps i get Mrs_D to do mine.  what she lacks in skill is supplemented by not being able to get my out the door once done (ie if its not right, i whinge)  its a simple cut.  yu see the kids lego men?  i want that.
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Iain F

• Style & Manners.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
Well said Mr D.

I've lost count of times when I've said 'Can you leave these sidey bits as they are' to then see them get chopped off, barber/hairdresser always looks miffed when they don't get a tip though.

To answer the original post - I have been using a cracking old school barber shop in Vauxhall called Luigi's. A guy called Adi has been doing my hair for about a year and has always done it exactly how I wanted, very basic crop with long sideys but always a good haircut and all for a tenner (including tip) - they're @ 61 Black Prince Road.

Having said that I am trying out a new place tomorrow - I work too far from Vauxhall now to get to the old place and need it done for the weekend - that's going to be pricier but the guy doing the cut is of the modernist persuasion himself so I'll let you know if it turns out ok.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:54:49 PM by Iain F »

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
whats the name of the hairdresser fella of the telly with the paul weller cut?  always on the one show.  hed be a good bet!
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Jack.92

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:51 PM »
whats the name of the hairdresser fella of the telly with the paul weller cut?  always on the one show.  hed be a good bet!
Michael Douglas is the bloke on the One Show

mr_duderino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »
thought he was the one strumping cathy zeta-larkin
Mrs Peel....Were needed.

Darren

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 05:42:07 PM »
Just searched this forum and found this. I thought it could do with an update.

Recommendations for good mod hairdressers / barbers /  stylists etc in London  ?

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
Well said Mr D.

I've lost count of times when I've said 'Can you leave these sidey bits as they are' to then see them get chopped off, barber/hairdresser always looks miffed when they don't get a tip though.

To answer the original post - I have been using a cracking old school barber shop in Vauxhall called Luigi's. A guy called Adi has been doing my hair for about a year and has always done it exactly how I wanted, very basic crop with long sideys but always a good haircut and all for a tenner (including tip) - they're @ 61 Black Prince Road.

Having said that I am trying out a new place tomorrow - I work too far from Vauxhall now to get to the old place and need it done for the weekend - that's going to be pricier but the guy doing the cut is of the modernist persuasion himself so I'll let you know if it turns out ok.

That the barber shop that has the wee dug?

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
I went to Fish once, didnīt get a mod cut but apparently Weller is/has been a customer and there are some nice cuts on their website.
One mentioned here on Modculture is Barberīs Point in Soho, I havenīt been there but will try to go when Iīm in London. They have a gallery of their mod cuts online.
There is a mod working at Gents of London and thereīs a video of Miles Kane getting his hair cut there on YTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmJKKx9hYMc

No first hand experience Iīm afraid but they could be worth having a look at. Good luck with your cut!

Edit: Another one I thought of - Martin Freeman seems to get his hair cut at Joe & Co in Soho - again, lots of cuts to look at online.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:20:42 PM by roundmidnight2 »