Author Topic: How to look good in hot weather  (Read 9913 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: How to look good in hot weather
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »
Yes, if searching for continental style clues, I'd go for A plein soleil, the Alain Delon film. Not only it's a better film per se, but it's the real deal on clothes, cars, etc. The talented mr. Ripley isn't bad and there is cool clobber on display, but as it happens with many 50s-60s based films it feels they tried too hard to replicate the era and ends up in something too stylized to ring true.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
Don't know about looking good in hot weather but I can certainly show you how to look bad. The look for this summer is shorts paired with long sleeve jackets ... or any jacket in fact. WTF is all that about? It's just wrong

Do it well

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »
Just the latest stupid phase that the movers and shakers of fashion predictably try to foist upon us. Too hot for long trousers = too hot for a blazer. Cool enough for a jacket = cool enough for man trousers. The junior schoolboy look is never flattering on a grown man, and yes that still counts for those weirdos in Bermuda too!

GoldenGaze_85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 07:35:02 PM »
Must admit I like those white shorts though. They look like they could be seersucker.

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
I don't ever wear shorts. That's not any kind of bold statement considering I live in the north of England, but even on the rare occasion we get 90 degrees or summat I'll stick to some lightweight trousers and whatever else on top. It's maybe weird, but it's just a 'thing' of mine. I don't do shorts.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »
I don't ever wear shorts. That's not any kind of bold statement considering I live in the north of England, but even on the rare occasion we get 90 degrees or summat I'll stick to some lightweight trousers and whatever else on top. It's maybe weird, but it's just a 'thing' of mine. I don't do shorts.

Me neither. There's something undignified about it, unless you're within spitting distance of the beach, the pool or the gym. I've seen too many middle aged American men having Sunday brunch in diners wearing baggy pleated cut off khakis and displaying bandy legs that couldn't stop a pig in a passage and chicken ankles with no socks and loafers or boat shoes. Enough to put you off your pancakes!

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 10:02:40 PM
Quote from: Darren on June 06, 2015, 07:53:49 PM
I am getting hot even thinking about knit tops, jeans, and light weight suits. Its only been about 19 degrees here in the uk today and that is short sleeves and shorts weather for me. I usually go for a smart polo, short sleeved shirt and smart shorts.

I guess the Talented Mr.Riley look my be the look I am looking for. Need to think Italian.

Need a cool hat too.

That's not a bad place to start. I've said before on here there are some excellent threads in that film. It's been on cable a few times recently and I keep watching it until Jude Law gets whacked, then I switch over.

Never seen that film but was on my radar - So Jude Law gets whacked?!! Bit of a spoiler... :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:44:47 AM by Mutley »
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »

Me neither. There's something undignified about it, unless you're within spitting distance of the beach, the pool or the gym. I've seen too many middle aged American men having Sunday brunch in diners wearing baggy pleated cut off khakis and displaying bandy legs that couldn't stop a pig in a passage and chicken ankles with no socks and loafers or boat shoes. Enough to put you off your pancakes!

Brunch? I've seen them at dinner, with shorts and Flip Flops! Worst yet is really nice restaurants, and they come in from "the game", to have dinner... You're dressed for the ball park, maybe you should eat there?1
It's just another casualty, of the "I want to be comfortable" mentality.
Rod, mark my words, they'll be showing up for brunch in their PJ's soon...
mod in Detroit

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »
OK so shorts may be on the casual side most of the time but this shouldn't mean we kiss them goodbye and never look at them again. When it gets hot, shorts are more comfortable than trousers even with a lightweight fabric. I don't subscribe to the theory that suffering makes you a better person or that sweating makes you more attractive.

The issue with smart shorts is that they need to be cut right, be the right length and your socks and shoes need special attention. You also might want to do some leg-based exercise to ensure that the musculature on show isn't on the weedy end of the spectrum.

If you look at how the ladies deal with getting their legs out you'll see they lose the socks, wear tights, use fake tan and shave. You can't just swap your long trousers for shorts without some thought. I'm not suggesting we shave but you get the idea.

So I'd like to see how we can include shorts without looking scruffy.

What sort of smart shoes look good?
On the knee/ below or above?
Colours?
Pattern or plain?
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
I'm with you on this, Trots. It's true that shorts aren't the smartest trousers around but that doesn't make them the worst choice when the heat is killing you. It's not only they are more confortable, if you choose & match them well they won't become a sartorial faux pas. That is, always above the knee, without cargo pockets and with a short sleeved sportshirt/popover, a knitted light top, a polo or even a cool t-shirt. Footwise, trainers, deck shoes, canvas dessies or even driving mocs (tho they're not my cup of tea). I admit that having cyclist and not too hairy (& tanned) legs helps too  ;D. I reckon in the tanning issue we southern europeans have some advantege over you brits  ;).

And Rod, I've got a swimming pool at walking distance from my home. Does it mean I can wear shorts without feeling guilty? ;D