Author Topic: Pete Meadon book  (Read 15646 times)

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Pete Meadon book
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:14:27 AM »
The planned book on Pete Meadon is now available to pre order on the Dark & Light publishing website.
Authors are Pete Wilky and John Hellier so hopefully it will be a great read.
I've always been surprised that no one has done a book or TV programme about Meadon before bearing in mind his involvement in the early Mod scene.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Meadon book
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Banjo, I'll take a look. And talking about characters that deserve a book, why isn't out there a decent bio of Jimmy Smith, the Hammond master?

Mark1966

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
Not available on Amazon on prerelease yet, will this be on general sale or just via publisher?

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
Mark, looks like website only at the moment. Not heard of the publishers before so it may not be on Amazon until it's released.
GS, there's plenty of characters that deserve a book about their lives. Sometimes I think it's only writers with a genuine passion for getting their stories across that write them.
I'm thinking about Mark Baxter and his forthcoming film about Tubby Hayes etc.

Mark1966

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:23:42 PM »
Thanks Banjo, will use the publisher website in that case.

Always thought that the Reggie King/Action story would make a great film or TV 2 parter but I suppose my interest may far outway that of the general public or TV production company  ;D

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »
Mark, looks like website only at the moment. Not heard of the publishers before so it may not be on Amazon until it's released.
GS, there's plenty of characters that deserve a book about their lives. Sometimes I think it's only writers with a genuine passion for getting their stories across that write them.
I'm thinking about Mark Baxter and his forthcoming film about Tubby Hayes etc.

You're right, and it's got me thinking about the recent Georgie Fame bio I read, by a german critic (whose name eludes me at the mo'), a guy that has written a book about the Small Faces too.

While obviously a labour of love -tons of pages, self-published ect...- it's a pity that the passion for a character doesn't match sometimes the writing skills of an author: in this case, I've noticed lots of (more or less interesting) information thrown in at random, disorganized and repetitive, and a marked imbalance between the golden age of the book's subject (the 60s) and his later years, that annoyingly fill the bulk of the book. A lost chance, but kudos to the man for trying it.

BTW, Banjo, I saw days ago in Amazon a new book about Tubby Hayes that might be of interest to you, maybe I'll look for it if there's a Kindle version.

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 04:03:58 PM »
GS, are you thinking of uli twelker's book on Georgie Fame? It's in my pile of books to read in the corner of my living room.
I just finished Simon Spillet's book on Tubby Hayes and it does have a lot of stuff that, to me, seems like filler but might be of interest to those really into his music. It was still a good read about the 50's & 60's jazz scene as my knowledge is not that great about the subject.
I find I have to wade through lots of books on the 60's to pick out stuff that interests me about the era.
You are right about the later stages of someone's career but I suppose a biography really needs to be like that.
Mark, I agree but the interest probably isn't enough for a production company to get involved. Shame that!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
Banjo, you might try these two books, I found them pretty interesting:

Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers and Free Fusioneers: British Jazz, 1960-1975

Bathed in Lightning: John Mclaughlin, the 60s and the Emerald Beyond

True, there are lots of filler, but also lots of details on the british crossover scene of the 60s.

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »
Cheers GS, I'll add those to my reading list.

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:04 AM »
Thanks Banjo, will use the publisher website in that case.

Always thought that the Reggie King/Action story would make a great film or TV 2 parter but I suppose my interest may far outway that of the general public or TV production company  ;D

If they can make one about the non-event that is Cilla Black they should be able to get something out of the Action's story.