Author Topic: Pete Meadon book  (Read 15013 times)

lammyrider

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Meadon book
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »
Found it, started it  :-\

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
I finished the book and have to admit it was a struggle.
It fills in some gaps in my knowledge of Meadon but I hate to say it but this is a badly written book.
There's a lot of use of other people's work quoted at length within the text. I found myself more interested in the books the author quoted from rather than the book I was reading.
The use of exclamation marks and question marks at the end of every other paragraph drove me mad.
Wilky's rants about the state of the music industry, politics etc were unnecessary filler even though I agreed with them. A biography should be about the subject matter and not the author. The repeation of the same paragraph halfway through the book shows that a better proof reader was needed. Sloppy editing springs to mind.
It's a shame that Eddie Pillars source material wasn't built upon as at times the book becomes dry and hard work to read.
I honestly believe that if you remove the filler, rants etc this book would be less than a pamphlet rather than an attempt to chronicle Meadons life in book form.
The man deserved better.
On the plus side, I applaud Wilky and the publishers for getting a book out about Meadon. Only Pillar seems to have come close before so credit where credit is due.
At least we now have another book to add to the Mod reading list.
As I was looking forward to this book it's just a shame that it didn't live up to my expectation but I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy it and read it.
I'm looking forward to others opinion on this book.

lammyrider

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
Pretty much suns up my thoughts so far,lots of guessing at what might of happened and too much use of the word cool and gushing ace face/mod god nonsense. So wanted to like this but it is a struggle to read. :(

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
About a third of the way through it so far, and from what I've read so far, I'm afraid I would have to agree with the last two posters  :(

I hate to be over-critical but, whereas I often find it diffcult to put books down ... I'm afraid with this one, which I was looking forward to reading, it's more of a struggle to force myself to pick it up  ::)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:12:55 PM by Ian_B »
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 07:43:04 PM »
Kind of glad I never bought it now reading your reviews. Have to say I'm not really surprised though - I had a bit of a chat with Pete Wilky on Farcebook a few years back and sad to say that he just didn't seem to understand about dressing well (paisley shirts and boating blazer - together - with a cord cap!). He was also very dismissive of anyone who spent more than £40 quid on a piece of knitwear so it's no surprise to me that this translates to the writing sadly.

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »
I got my copy and had a quick scan through and put it on my to read pile. It looks very messy and amateurish. I admire anyone for having a go, but it does seem to be all over the place, and, as others have noted, lots of previously published articles and interviews linked by a few paragraphs.

Neil Lee

• Clothes, Football, Scooters & Music in that order.
    • View Profile
    • Gettin' To The Point
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »
My review of "I'm The Face" the official biography of Pete Meaden:

Like most people with an interest in the mod scene I have always been fascinated and intrigued by the enigma that is Pete Meaden. From my first introduction to him in the pages of Richard Barnes' “Mods” to the snippets of information provided since then, I have wanted to know who he was what motivated him, where he had come from and what he did after the 60s up until his untimely death. It was therefore with great excitement that I awaited the release of “I’m The Face”.

This book sadly does not meet any of my expectations. The attention to detail - so much a part of the mod ethos- is sadly missing. Mistakes are evident throughout the text: one of the most glaring is the photograph used to show the Meaden penned 45 “Zoot Suit/ I’m The Face”. Unfortunately, instead of showing the 1964 single, an image of a later reissue is used. Even the most basic Google search would bring up the original and a copy could easily be sourced to use.

Each section of the book is littered with examples of why the author believes he and Meaden are similar. These statements are not needed. I got the impression that Mr. Wilky felt that his readers would want to know as much about him as the subject matter; I have to applaud his own delusional self belief and the fact that he sees himself as a “natural leader and influencer of men”. The further into the book I read, the more I felt the title was being used as a description of how the author sees himself and not Pete Meaden. Similarly, Mr Wilky’s constant rants about the modern music industry and the state of politics were completely unnecessary. I did also start to wonder if he was being paid to use the interrobang: its constant usage began to annoy me after the first chapter. It is reminiscent of my son learning a new word and using it in every sentence. The repetition of the same text throughout the book also indicates poor proof reading.

What the book does succeed in doing is filling in some of the gaps in my own knowledge of Meaden’s life. Much of it quotes other peoples work directly: many of these sources I was already familiar with but some I look forward to reading. Also, some of the photographs used were new to me. Although I do wonder if maybe his life would better suit a chapter in a future book about the mod scene or early days of the Who.

In the hands of somebody like Paul Anderson or Paulo Hewitt this book could have been so much more. Unfortunately what we have is a complete mess that has left me disappointed and with the sense that a great opportunity has been missed. If 2014 was a high point for releases of modernist related literature then with the release of this book 2015 is the low point. If you buy one mod related book this year then don’t make it this one.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:06:53 AM by Neil Lee »
The New Unsociable’s Present

“Gettin’ To The Point”

https://www.facebook.com/events/399848387194193/

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 01:44:43 PM »
Right, anyone like to buy my copy?

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
Bugger. Mine turned up on Monday.

I'll give it a go - reluctantly now by the sound of it!
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
If it turns up for a couple of quid on amazon, I might buy it. Otherwise, I'm giving it a wide berth. An opportunity missed, it would seem..
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot