Author Topic: The Who, Hyde Park 26th June  (Read 2536 times)

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
The Who, Hyde Park 26th June
« on: June 25, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
Evening all,

I'm really surprised this hasn't been posted up yet, but who's going tomorrow?
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

W12mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The Who, Hyde Park 26th June
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »
I am going! Looks like a cracking day. Going with a few mates who aren't Mods but love their music.

Disappointed that The Rifles are only  on for 30 mins but pleased the latest Weather report shows no ain - got soaked at IOW music festival wo weeks ago.

starting about 1000 in the West End, so hope to be quite merry by the evening.

Imagine there will be quite a few Mods about!

I will be in the minority by not wearing target t-shirt but will have desert boots.

Enjoy.  Mike

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 07:18:08 AM »
I'm there too! Last night was at the Rick Buckler event at London Bridge, The Jam exhibition at 10 this morning and then meeting with a mob of about 12 of us at Charing X at 1 O Clock then off to the gig. Cross section of ages from 19-55 friends and family all blokes so will be a great experience as this will be the latest of many Weller and Who gigs for some and the first for others. I will be wearing Jam shoes, a boating blazer,  a paisley scarf, Fred Perry, white Levis, a pork pie hat and of course in case of rain a Millets Parka! (In case anyone wants to meet up with me I will also be wearing a discreet MODS RULE badge set against a target on the right lapel of my blue and pink striped blazer) Do say hello!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
Refreshed (kind of) after a good nights kip following a long, hot day in London. No complaint as the weather was dry and sunny which has to be better than cold and wet for an outdoor gig. The event as whole was OK but I really have never been a fan of things of this scale. 70,000 was announced to the crowd but being a smallish bloke amongst it all packed in tight it seemed like millions! All the bands were on top form with Johnny Marr being very well received by early arrivers as he was one of the first 'big' acts on.

Quite a few SMITHS songs and a class cover of I FOUGHT THE LAW which was the first song of the day to send the crowd into a beer throwing frenzy, of which there was much throughout sadly. On a smaller stage toward the rear of proceedings I saw the always excellent VINTAGE TROUBLE who seemed to enjoy a mixed audience of more sussed people familiar with their work and others just dobbing in to see what they were like. Two songs in and everyone was going for it. Can't recommend this band enough in many respects. What some amongst us would call 'Proper' Mod music. Gutsy, beat driven, blues/soul dance music sung by an American black bloke. The guy and his band is the real deal and he has some moves on him too.

The Rifles were on next and came out fighting knowing that because of timings many of their crowd would leave before their set ended in order to get across to the main area for Weller then The Who. However I saw no real mass exodus as the boys kept their crowd going right up until the end. Top class stuff from Joel and the boys. My pals and I did then quickly move across to sounds of CHANGING MAN which I think was Weller's opener.

We decided to get as close to proceedings as we could for the last two names on the bill and ended up all 12 of us going our seperate ways as a single body is more likely to find a slot somewhere than a mob of geezers. I got as close as the VIP viewing tower which wasn't bad and was treated to a surprisingly 'passing fan friendly' set by the often crotchety Paul Weller. Some of the standout tracks from his latest album along with stuff like YOU DO SOMETHING TO ME, BROKEN STONES, FRIDAY ST, PEACOCK SUIT and even Jam classics such as START!, TOWN CALLED MALICE and THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT with Miles Kane. The WHO set was much as expected and shorter than the recent Arena tour given the time constraints Westminster Council put on Hyde Park gigs but aside from a few songs it seemed a 'Greatest Hits' set no one could really complain about. Despite my joking comments about how I would be dressed for the day I saw half a dozen blokes all in their 40s/50s actually dressed pretty much as I described. Whatever though I'm sure they enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:30:51 AM by Martin G »

W12mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Good write up Martin, well described.

We had a really good day, enjoying the sunshine and beer (except the stuff that covered us whilst watching the Rifles!)

It was mobbed really busy and people from everywhere, lots of Italians, Amercians etc. hard to get a beer, which makes it even more surprising that people want to chuck it everywhere (when it's 5 a pop)

lots and lots of mods and some pretty smart people as well, as Martin mentioned, every facet of mod/60's culture in attendance. I don't think I have every been anywhere where there were so many Fred Perry"s being worn.

We got into town mid morning and everywhere we went we saw groups of lads who were going. Had a few beers in pubs in the west end and lots of visitors taking advantage of the Fred Perry shops in Seven dials and Covent Garden.

We enjoyed Johnny Marr although he isn't really my cup of tea, Kaisers just don't do it for me anymore so we left them early to get right at the front for the Rifles. Naively didn't think it would be that crazy at the front, just managed to stay to the edge of the silliness. Great set and really enjoyed the mass of people leaving the Rifles and heading to Weller, singing the old Whoaaaaa bit.

I don't think Hyde Park Is that great for the view and for the Who we positioned ourselves in front of one of the screens - that was better than our nearer but wider position for Weller.

Great day out.

Mike

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 05:06:21 PM »
Yep Mike pretty much my view of the day too. Without sounding too philosophical I am going to be a long time gone so while I can still attend an event like this I will despite the various drawbacks we have both cited.

Monkey

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Picks
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
Good one Martin.

I'm in agreement big gigs like these aren't the best of things but prepared to make an exception for The Who.

Didn't see many of the other bands save for end of the Kaiser Chiefs who I ignored and then caught some of Sleaford Mods on a tiny stage near some bogs. Never really liked them before but kinda did appreciate them more in a shouty ranty way. Weller was all right and as much as I'd sooner listen at home to his newer records the three Jam songs raised the spirits in that environment.

As for The Who - and I hate saying this - I was a little disappointed. Their gig at the O2 a few months back was excellent but this wasn't anywhere near it. Doesn't help being stuck in a giant field with the sound whooshing in and out of hearing and not being able to see much but felt like they weren't on maximum power. Thought they might be keeping something back for Glastonbury but that didn't look much better to be honest. Think Daltrey is struggling. Not his voice especially but his movement appears restricted. That said he and Pete are in their 70s so I'm not knocking them at all. And it was good to get "Bargain" and "You Better You Bet" in the set - even "Eminence Front" made a change and had us (slightly mocking) dancing!

The same few words in a different order can be found at http://www.monkeypicks.co.uk Latest Posts: The Redskins, Wireless Show, The Action's Rolled Gold by Sidewalk Society reviewed.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
Monkey ! Yep again pretty much with you all the way and your observations and comments. I am glad to be seeing these guys at any age. I am lucky having seen them in the '80s and would have loved to have been of an age to see them in the '60s or early .70s but you can't be in control of when you were born I guess.

W12mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »
Martin/Monkey,

Do you think the sound is something to do with it being Hyde Park and the neighbours?

I thought both Weller and The Who was like watching with the sound turned down slightly. recently just got ack from the IOW festival and admittedly I was further away from the stage, but you just couldn't compare the sound.

Mike

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
I think the volume of the bands and the early live curfew that is imposed on those staging events in Hyde Park is deffo down to the area and the kind of folk who live in the vicinity. There has been quite a few instances of artists as big as Springsteen and McCartney having the plug pulled if they over run and stuff. I am seeing Noel Gallagher on Saturday at Clapham so will be interested to see how loud he is compared to Hyde Park. Clapham is quite 'posh' in certain areas but others not quite so much so not sure what laws are laid down to them in that neck of the woods.