Author Topic: soho podcast  (Read 2775 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
soho podcast
« on: December 08, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
My first attempt at a podcast/playlist/Internet mix..., whichever you call it. Don't expect a bunch of uptempo dance numbers, tho, as my goal was trying to convey the elusive spirit of 60s London Soho, encompassing not only the modernist crowd, but junkies, folkies, pimps, bohemians, GIs, dealers, west indians, etc. You can call it a "conceptual" playlist, I guess, tho it sounds too pretentious for what it is. Anyway, I hope someone enjoy it.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Greenstreet7/

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
Re: soho podcast
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »
Giving in a blast in the office. One of the benefits of working for yourself....no one can tell me to turn it down!

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »
I'm not too sure about the French number and the folk tunes aren't quite my thing (but I did like the lyrics to the Aldermaston song "The politicians pretending no-one was there" was great). However, the overall feel of the selection made me want to be sitting in a smoky Soho basement drinking a martini, taking speed and wearing a sharp suit. You captured that feeling really well and I listened to it while marking. In fact I was going to stop marking half way through the pile but carried on as I was enjoying the tunes.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music

leeboy

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 08:06:18 AM »
Giving in a blast in the office. One of the benefits of working for yourself....no one can tell me to turn it down!

+ 1 here too, some very cool tunes there

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
Thanks, guys! As I'm an internet caveman it was a pain in the ass to put the list together and upload it, but with your support it's worth the time and the effort.

Trots, the Claude Nougaro's tune (a cover of Brubeck's Blue rondo a la turk) is a translation-in-song of the Godard film that some mods supposedly revered, and I've added it to convey that continental vibe so essential to the first modernists (and cos' I like his delivery, very film-like).

Coming down from Aldermaston is not only funny in its dated way, but to me it seems a perfect snapshot of the times.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:57:27 AM »
Listened to the first hour of this last night, GS, really liked it! Quite an eclectic mix (the folk stuff didn't really work for me, truth be told), but it had a very cool vibe to it. As someone else said, it evoked an image of being in a basement club in Soho in the 60s, possibly trying to woo Claudia Cardinale whilst suited and booted! Excellent first podcast, mate, thumbs up from me  8)
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »
Thank you doc, much appreciated. I knew you'd like it, as your own podcasts have that eclectic approach too (and great tunes to boot).