Author Topic: Nina Simone Film Trailer  (Read 1251 times)

Mutley

• View Profile
Nina Simone Film Trailer
« on: March 03, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
Seems controversy follows Nina even after she is long passed. This time however it is around the choice of actress chosen to play Nina in the following film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yfxOCiHr4
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Nina Simone Film Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:16:52 PM »
Well, she doesn't resemble mrs Simone in the least and the make up looks artificial, but a trailer isn't enough to put down a movie. What I don't get is why the latest black musicians biopics -Nina, Miles Davies- are staged in the 70s, and not in the peak years of any of them. Maybe decadence is more interesting for screenwriters, or maybe the 60s begin to be too far in the past.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »
Saw something about this online, they've hired a light-skinned actress but are, in effect, 'black-facing' her. Given the recent controversy surrounding how 'white' the Oscars are, this would seem to be grist to the mill.

I'm not a fan of biopics, personally. If you want to watch something about Nina, check out the excellent documentary "What happened, Miss Simone?" With a nod to Monkey for having recommended it to me in the first place
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:09:03 PM »
Saw something about this online, they've hired a light-skinned actress but are, in effect, 'black-facing' her. Given the recent controversy surrounding how 'white' the Oscars are, this would seem to be grist to the mill.

I'm not a fan of biopics, personally. If you want to watch something about Nina, check out the excellent documentary "What happened, Miss Simone?" With a nod to Monkey for having recommended it to me in the first place

Me neither, never understood why you'd watch a biopic that will have the dialogue made up and the facts often changed for entertainment value when you can see a great documentary instead.
Not stuck in the 60's

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 10:00:52 PM »
I'm unphazed. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!