Author Topic: The decline of the 3 button suit (article)  (Read 3695 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: The decline of the 3 button suit (article)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 10:57:59 AM »
I also recall the comedy 3 button suit of Alexei Sayle that was far too tight but made everyone laugh. .

In more recent times , I've seen Mods that reminded me of that look but I don't think they realised that they were not funny like Alexei . .
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:41:38 PM by Simon Bond »
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
Regardless of the number of buttons I think the reason blokes, of any persuasion, look a bit odd is that many simply don't have suits that fit them correctly. I would rather see a bigger fella wear a roomier suit in which he feels and looks comfortable than squeezing into something fit to burst with a too tight collar and tie as well. (Of course he doesn't need to be dressed by RENT-TENT but there is a happy medium. Even a geezer like Daniel Craig who should, given his demeanour and physique, look the business has of late been outfitted as 007 in the too tight skinny trouser style favoured by teenagers and even he looks daft.

English Stan

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
Martin G.  Re Daniel Criag in his too tight suit.  I noticed this in Spectre, even the Mrs mentioned it.  But wasn't the original concept of Bond as a thug in a suit, and he does look it in Spectre.  Just my Euro cents worth.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
Regardless of the number of buttons I think the reason blokes, of any persuasion, look a bit odd is that many simply don't have suits that fit them correctly. I would rather see a bigger fella wear a roomier suit in which he feels and looks comfortable than squeezing into something fit to burst with a too tight collar and tie as well. (Of course he doesn't need to be dressed by RENT-TENT but there is a happy medium. Even a geezer like Daniel Craig who should, given his demeanour and physique, look the business has of late been outfitted as 007 in the too tight skinny trouser style favoured by teenagers and even he looks daft.
He was wearing Tom Ford suits, and I think he's responsible for that original  "Pee Wee Herman"  too small fit!
mod in Detroit

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »
Martin G.  Re Daniel Criag in his too tight suit.  I noticed this in Spectre, even the Mrs mentioned it.  But wasn't the original concept of Bond as a thug in a suit, and he does look it in Spectre.  Just my Euro cents worth.

yeah, that's the way I heard Fleming wrote it originally. I think by the time R. Moore played him, we got used to the idea he was supposed to be a model...
mod in Detroit

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 04:07:08 AM »
He was wearing Tom Ford suits, and I think he's responsible for that original  "Pee Wee Herman"  too small fit!
M
No it was Thom Browne who pushed the skin tight suit with high water strides. Tom Ford is more influenced by the wide lapels of the seventies and probably loves the Roger Moore period Bonds, so quite why he has Craig dressed in shrunken versions of his suits remains a mystery to me. They were particularly bad in Skyfall and marginally better in SPECTRE. By the time they get round to making another Bond I hope this trend has passed by and we can look forward to seeing Craig in something that looks better than the current version where it looks like he borrowed his kid brother's suitnfor a job interview.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »
You are correct, Rod. I had my "Toms" mixed up.
Last I heard, Craig was done as Bond, hope they get a suitable replacement.
mod in Detroit

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 10:44:43 AM »
I may have already linked to this at one time, can't remember, but it's relevant - Michael Caine's suits from The Italian Job:

http://clothesonfilm.com/take-me-to-my-tailor-michael-caine-in-the-italian-job/33309/

It was one of my favourite films as a child and before I'd even heard of mod, but I always liked his style. Especially the light coloured suit at the airport  8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
Very interesting. While some of the garments are unmistakably late 60 (I couldn't get away with a suede sand p-coat!), most suits are kosher mod fare.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
Caine looks absolutely tops in that shot and much of the movie too. This particular suit kinda sums up what I look for now in either vintage jackets or the occasional contemporary one. Slim-ish or conservative lapels and three button but without looking like a Carnaby Cavern effort from 1979 (Although at the time those teeny tiny Weller style lapels were what I was all about) As an older bloke though that style doesn't work and neither does fabric so shiny you look like the Tin Man from WIZARD OF OZ. If a similarly dressed and statured bloke as Caine here were to walk into an event I was attending it would turn my head.