Author Topic: How accurate was Quadrophenia?  (Read 15622 times)

tommc666

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: How accurate was Quadrophenia?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »
in 78/79 when we met the scooter clubs up north, there was a bit of friction and different approaches. From my experience, they couldnt understand why we werent all into scooters and we had many comments made to us that we all looked like poofs. We on the other hand couldnt understand why they were all into scooters and thought that they were scruffy and wearing flares. Kicked off a few times at the Jam at Saddleworth and then Secret Affair at Huddersfield. Met a few mods from north during that period who were opposite to that and decent blokes.

Ian - hope you are well mate.

Bespoke Gent

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 07:13:50 AM »
Actually I stand by my first statement including the clothing in Quadrophenia. Even looking through Richard Barnes Mods! book will show you that the average Mod in 64 wasn't much of a dresser. They also got in enough advice from original Mods such as Lloyd Johnson. In fact I know a few facts but they are in my own book so can't explain much more.

Yip was really shocked all those years ago when I first bought the  Barnes book and saw how badly dressed most of the lads were ... Most of them were kids - well early teens, who could not afford a well cut suit.

I first saw the movie in 1985, loved it then, love it now . . . Would I still watch it? If its on TCM I will watch it . . . I have no issues with a it as a youth movie  . . . Going to see it played live by the Who for the 6th time in June. M
Likes: Peter Harland Tailors - DC Bespoke Shirts - DNA GROOVE - Fender Telecaster Guitars

Scott

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
First watched it on video ,god knows when, and to be honest ,I probably knew it word for word when I was about 14/15. Its obviously got its faults and as Smiler says ,not every little Mod was wearing a tailored suit and handmade shoes when the film was set. As everybody knows its on itv4 every so often and I always sky plus it so that its there for two months ,unwatched ,before I wipe it off. I suppose ,as a gauge, both my boys kept borrowing the film when they were teenagers, so it obviously still work as a youth movie.

Bobby Charlton

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »
I'm one of the few in this community that would probably rather listen to the record than watch the film.

I'd rather not listen to it or watch it.  :D

I like this quote.
I've seen it so many times in the past I can say I'm bored stiff of it... probably to the point of actually not liking it any more.
As for the LP... again, bored stiff of it.

Dr Mod

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »
Ian B - sorry you did not make he final cut - you looked better than some of those Northern Scooter boys. My dad is in the film . He was in the old bill and had recently been busted back into uniform from plain clothes and was on duty to keep the onlookers back from the film set. In the film, on the day the beach fights take place, there is a shot of three coppers standing by one of the kiosk's at the entrance to (what was then the Palace) Pier, they were real policemen and one of them was my dad.

He joined the Sussex Police in 1966 so was never really involved in any Mod v Rocker incidents but he remembers having to break up Skinhead v Hells Angel beach fights around 1969/1970 when knives, bike chains and snooker cues were the weapons of choice.

I was only 2 years old in 1964 so can't comment whether the film accurately reflects the lives of the Shepherd Bush Mod's but agree with the comments about the photograph's and film footage of the time that seem to show that Jimmy and his mates dressed at least as well (if not better) than many of the teenagers depicted in Mods etc.

Anyway I liked the film - I was closer to being a "Face" among the younger post Quad crowd than the older pre Quad crowd.

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:19 PM »
For anyone interested, the Quadrophenia 'debate' aired last night on my show. Was interesting to get three different views of the same movie from people who came into it under different reasons. There is myself, Hacker (living in the UK) and Warren Peace (host of We Are The Mods) talking about the Movie and the album for the whole show.

Wish I had more time as there was still other things we would have liked to discuss, but alas, the radio station only gives me an hour of air time!

You can get the podcast via PodOmatic - http://punksinparkas.podomatic.com/
or iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/punks-in-parkas/id607714950?mt=2

Anyway, have a listen if you'd like. Always something to discuss when it comes to this movie/album, isn't there? :)
Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes

norm

• Ska'd For Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
For anyone interested, the Quadrophenia 'debate' aired last night on my show. Was interesting to get three different views of the same movie from people who came into it under different reasons. There is myself, Hacker (living in the UK) and Warren Peace (host of We Are The Mods) talking about the Movie and the album for the whole show.

Wish I had more time as there was still other things we would have liked to discuss, but alas, the radio station only gives me an hour of air time!

or iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/punks-in-parkas/id607714950?mt=2

Anyway, have a listen if you'd like. Always something to discuss when it comes to this movie/album, isn't there? :)
Maybe I was expecting too much, but rarely have I heard such a puerile, inaccurate and frankly offensive "debate" as this. I found the whole thing toe-curlingly embarrassing, if this is a true representation of the subculture I have loved for over twenty five years, I seriously have to wonder what has gone wrong?
Bitterly disappointing, if you want to wind yourself up for fifty minutes, give it a listen - but don't say I didn't warn you >:(

DJ Penny Lane

• Host of Mod radio show, Punks in Parkas
    • View Profile
    • Punks in Parkas
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 12:31:39 AM »

Maybe I was expecting too much, but rarely have I heard such a puerile, inaccurate and frankly offensive "debate" as this. I found the whole thing toe-curlingly embarrassing, if this is a true representation of the subculture I have loved for over twenty five years, I seriously have to wonder what has gone wrong?
Bitterly disappointing, if you want to wind yourself up for fifty minutes, give it a listen - but don't say I didn't warn you >:(

How can three peoples individual opinions of something be 'inaccurate'? Never been told my opinion of something has been inaccurate before.

Quadrophenia is far from a true representation. I would never be so bold as to trust everything that was in that movie as it is just that - a movie. FICTION. None of us stated it was a 'true' representation of Mod, but in fact we all agreed that at points it is embarrassingly inaccurate.

Host of Punks in Parkas, a weekly Mod radio show broadcasting live from Winnipeg. Podcast available at www.punksinparkas.Podomatic.com and iTunes

Smiler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »

How can three peoples individual opinions of something be 'inaccurate'? Never been told my opinion of something has been inaccurate before.

Quadrophenia is far from a true representation. I would never be so bold as to trust everything that was in that movie as it is just that - a movie. FICTION. None of us stated it was a 'true' representation of Mod, but in fact we all agreed that at points it is embarrassingly inaccurate.

I believe Norm meant your radio show is far from a true representation of Mod.

norm

• Ska'd For Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »

Just to clarify, it was neither your opinion or the movie I was criticising as inaccurate Penny, everyone is entitled to their own views.

What really wound me up were statements like  -

"The Police were big in the uk from as early as 76" when they didn't form 'till 1977 and that they were a "punk band that went on to follow a mod direction" ??

Stating that it was surprising that such a "big punk star as Toyah could portray a mod so well". Toyah was a trained actress who went to drama school and was in several theatre productions, tv plays and films before Quadrophenia. It was after the release of the 'Four from Toyah' ep in1981 that she became a 'big punk star'.

That "Levis stopped making shrink to fit jeans in 1966", when to my knowledge, they continue to produce them to this day.

I could go on but you get the idea. You may think I am being unnecessarily picky, but the devil, as any mod knows, is in the detail.

To be fair Penny you tried your best to steer the show in the right direction, but you could hardly get a word in between the innuendo and smut. I know you are a fan of Mr Peace, but this was my first and last experience of the man.His statement that " thank God they kept Moon off the set" is frankly appalling , given that the whole movie project was nearly cancelled after his death. His quote that he thought the song 'Iam One' was "just Townsend talking about being a homo" (I kid you not!) sums the man up. (I thought this provocative shock jock crap died out in the eighties)
What disappointed me the most, was that you said it was this thread that had inspired the show. Yet the "debate" I listened to bared little resemblance to the intelligent, knowledgeable views posted on here. The most interesting viewpoint came from Craig, who admitted himself, isn't a mod, yet still made more sense in one statement, than his dad and Peace could manage in the whole show.
Don't get me wrong - I am no humourless 'holier than thou' prude and I wasn't expecting some serious radio 4 style discussion. I was, however, hoping to get some sort of insight on how your countrymen view the film/album.

Finally, you may be good friends with those two,I don't know, or maybe you don't mind being spoken to in a crude sexist jingoistic manner. Personally if I had been invited on someone's radio show, I would have afforded the host a little more respect and courtesy. If I spoke to the female mods that I know like that, it would be lights going out and a kick in the balls... that's,as they say, entertainment.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:55:39 PM by norm »