Author Topic: How accurate was Quadrophenia?  (Read 15621 times)

norm

• Ska'd For Life
    • View Profile
Re: How accurate was Quadrophenia?
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
For anyone interested, the Quadrophenia 'debate' aired last night on my show. Was interesting to get three different views of the same movie from people who came into it under different reasons. There is myself, Hacker (living in the UK) and Warren Peace (host of We Are The Mods) talking about the Movie and the album for the whole show.

Wish I had more time as there was still other things we would have liked to discuss, but alas, the radio station only gives me an hour of air time!

You can get the podcast via PodOmatic - http://punksinparkas.podomatic.com/
or iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/punks-in-parkas/id607714950?mt=2

Anyway, have a listen if you'd like. Always something to discuss when it comes to this movie/album, isn't there? :)
Maybe I was expecting too much, but rarely have I heard such a puerile, inaccurate and frankly offensive "debate" as this. I found the whole thing toe-curlingly embarrassing, if this is a true representation of the subculture I have loved for over twenty five years, I seriously have to wonder what has gone wrong?
Bitterly disappointing, if you want to wind yourself up for fifty minutes, give it a listen - but don't say I didn't warn you >:(

How can three peoples individual opinions of something be 'inaccurate'? Never been told my opinion of something has been inaccurate before.

Quadrophenia is far from a true representation. I would never be so bold as to trust everything that was in that movie as it is just that - a movie. FICTION. None of us stated it was a 'true' representation of Mod, but in fact we all agreed that at points it is embarrassingly inaccurate.

I believe Norm meant your radio show is far from a true representation of Mod.
Cheers Smiler, it was more the inane schoolboy rambling of her two guests, than Penny's show per se.
Have you listened to it?

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
Who is this Warren Peace fool anyway? I stumbled across his podcast a couple of months ago and I have never heard so much drivel in all my life. The only reason I listened to the full thing was to see what rubbish he could come up with next. He thinks he knows it all and yet wants Gap and Banana Republic to start selling 'mod clothes'. It was embarassing to listen to.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
For anyone interested, the Quadrophenia 'debate' aired last night on my show. Was interesting to get three different views of the same movie from people who came into it under different reasons. There is myself, Hacker (living in the UK) and Warren Peace (host of We Are The Mods) talking about the Movie and the album for the whole show.

Wish I had more time as there was still other things we would have liked to discuss, but alas, the radio station only gives me an hour of air time!

or iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/punks-in-parkas/id607714950?mt=2

Anyway, have a listen if you'd like. Always something to discuss when it comes to this movie/album, isn't there? :)
Maybe I was expecting too much, but rarely have I heard such a puerile, inaccurate and frankly offensive "debate" as this. I found the whole thing toe-curlingly embarrassing, if this is a true representation of the subculture I have loved for over twenty five years, I seriously have to wonder what has gone wrong?
Bitterly disappointing, if you want to wind yourself up for fifty minutes, give it a listen - but don't say I didn't warn you >:(

How can three peoples individual opinions of something be 'inaccurate'? Never been told my opinion of something has been inaccurate before.

Quadrophenia is far from a true representation. I would never be so bold as to trust everything that was in that movie as it is just that - a movie. FICTION. None of us stated it was a 'true' representation of Mod, but in fact we all agreed that at points it is embarrassingly inaccurate.

Cheers Smiler, it was more the inane schoolboy rambling of her two guests, than Penny's show per se.
Have you listened to it?

Where did you manage to find (humourless) mockney versions of these two for the show, Penny ?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:23:55 PM by Ian_B »
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Uglybugly

• Welcome to the Modculture forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 10:51:25 PM »

Have you listened to it?

Where did you manage to find (humourless) mockney versions of these two for the show, Penny ?

Fnarr Fnarr  ;D

Sandra

• Glasgow Mods Ya Bass!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »

Just to clarify, it was neither your opinion or the movie I was criticising as inaccurate Penny, everyone is entitled to their own views.

What really wound me up were statements like  -

"The Police were big in the uk from as early as 76" when they didn't form 'till 1977 and that they were a "punk band that went on to follow a mod direction" ??

Stating that it was surprising that such a "big punk star as Toyah could portray a mod so well". Toyah was a trained actress who went to drama school and was in several theatre productions, tv plays and films before Quadrophenia. It was after the release of the 'Four from Toyah' ep in1981 that she became a 'big punk star'.

That "Levis stopped making shrink to fit jeans in 1966", when to my knowledge, they continue to produce them to this day.

I could go on but you get the idea. You may think I am being unnecessarily picky, but the devil, as any mod knows, is in the detail.

To be fair Penny you tried your best to steer the show in the right direction, but you could hardly get a word in between the innuendo and smut. I know you are a fan of Mr Peace, but this was my first and last experience of the man.His statement that " thank God they kept Moon off the set" is frankly appalling , given that the whole movie project was nearly cancelled after his death. His quote that he thought the song 'Iam One' was "just Townsend talking about being a homo" (I kid you not!) sums the man up. (I thought this provocative shock jock crap died out in the eighties)
What disappointed me the most, was that you said it was this thread that had inspired the show. Yet the "debate" I listened to bared little resemblance to the intelligent, knowledgeable views posted on here. The most interesting viewpoint came from Craig, who admitted himself, isn't a mod, yet still made more sense in one statement, than his dad and Peace could manage in the whole show.
Don't get me wrong - I am no humourless 'holier than thou' prude and I wasn't expecting some serious radio 4 style discussion. I was, however, hoping to get some sort of insight on how your countrymen view the film/album.

Finally, you may be good friends with those two,I don't know, or maybe you don't mind being spoken to in a crude sexist jingoistic manner. Personally if I had been invited on someone's radio show, I would have afforded the host a little more respect and courtesy. If I spoke to the female mods that I know like that, it would be lights going out and a kick in the balls... that's,as they say, entertainment.

Damn right your balls would be kicked haha!  ;)