Author Topic: Rat Style  (Read 844 times)

Mutley

• View Profile
Rat Style
« on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:34 PM »
OK so last night I was with a mate who works on old scooters. In his shed amongst the mix of bikes there was an old lammer. I started chatting to him commenting on how much work it needed doing as it was beat up to f*ck and had rust over 90% of its body. He started to laugh and said it was only in for a new wiring loom and everything else I saw was as the owner wanted it and it went like a rocket. Obviously I thought he was taking the proverbial and told him where to go. But after talking further and inspecting the body closer I saw the paintwork / rust had been protected in a clear coat of sealant.  I was introduced to the world of Rat Style. So with that in mind has anybody else come across it and what are your thoughts? Personally I feel sorry for these old scoots as my first thought is to refurbish. Apparently it is big in the vdub world too. Anyway here's a link to give you an idea of what I am on about.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=vespa+rat+style&sa=X&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwiJ2bPM3uPMAhXKDcAKHXnhC9QQsAQIHg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:49:32 PM by Mutley »
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
Re: Rat Style
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:10:22 PM »
There's a few show up regularly on runs over here, Mutley; generally Lammies, but a few old Vespas too. All bar one that I've seen have been treated with the same sealant/lacquer to maintain them in the 'condition' they're in. Not for me at all, all that rust and chipped paint would make my OCD twitch like f**k!! Restoring a scooter to how it looked coming out of the showroom 50 years ago is one thing, but actually wanting it to look like it's had no TLC over the years doesn't compute for me. Each to their own, of course, and some of the ones I've seen go like sh*t off a hot shovel, but definitely not my cup of tea.
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

lammyrider

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:46:15 PM »
Big on the hot rod and vw scene, really love the original paint even if it is beat up a bit but a lot of the vw boys take it too far and actively make their rides rusty and s**te looking. My bus is ratty but i like it like that  ;)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:13 PM »
Certainly not my cup of char but , whatever floats yer boat . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »
Back in college I knew a lad who's Lambretta was named 'The Abortion' so he may have inadvertently been an innovator of this kind of thing. It's absolutely not for me and I don't really get it.
There's a similar thing in the guitar world where you can buy a brand new guitar that's been artificially 'antiqued' to look beat up and used. Guitar Centre was even hawking special editions of guitars made up to look exactly like Eddie Van Halen's strat and telecasters done up like those belonging to Joe Strummer and Andy Summers. Over my head!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »
I would differentiate between "rat" and "un-restored". 
I was in the camp before that restoring to showroom new condition was the only way to go, but lately If a bike isn't totally a pile of rust and dents, I'm liking the "Original" condition more and more...that's different from someone who chops up and spray paints a bike flat black. The old Serveta I owned changed my mind:

This was all original paint (except for the side panels, which were "rattle canned" white), so it had it scratches and scraps, but that just gave it "history"... ;)
mod in Detroit