Author Topic: V&A exhibition  (Read 1085 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
V&A exhibition
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
Looks like it's going to be THE fall 60s related exhibition, so I'm puzzled no one has mentioned it here. Well,maybe its subject falls slightly outside of the time-span of the mod peak era, but I reckon it still holds a huge appeal for fashion/music/art aficionados. Here is the link:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/you-say-you-want-a-revolution-records-and-rebels-1966-70

The exhibition will open its doors next saturday, but before -friday evening- there's an interesting talk by a Levi's historian:

https://shop.vam.ac.uk/whatson/index/view/id/2933/event/Levi-s-and-the-Evolution-of-Youth-Culture/dt/2016-09-09/eType/1/free/2

Outside the lucky few who can attend these activities or indeed visit the exhibition, for the rest -including me- there's the consolation prize of the gorgeous catalog. There's another assorted merchandising for sale, but IMO nothing to write home about (with the possible exception of a limited edition Levi's t-shirt).

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: V&A exhibition
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »
Will certainly be an exhibition I will attend at some point. Perhaps like the incredible BOWIE one of a few years back my mates and I will have to wait for an appropriate day to visit given what I am sure is a high interest from both V&A members and the public.  Looks great though.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »
Please, Martin, if it's not asking too much, it would be nice if you write a short review of the exhibition after you attend it.  :)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »
On it mate. No problem. Will gladly do just that with pics as well.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »
Might well have to give this one a look ;)
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »
I attended this a couple of days after it opened last week.  As the title suggests it focuses on the second half of the 60s and is oriented towards the counterculture.  However there is enough there to interest those into later 60s music/culture and is particularly worth attending for Beatles fans.  The exhibition is divided into different themes covering fashion, music, clubs, politics/civil rights, advertising/consumerism etc and in terms of display and layout it’s quite similar to the Stones exibitionism which was in London recently. 

Throughout the exhibition on display are 100s of records from John Peel’s personal collection – a fair bit of soul, funk, Jazz amongst the rock and pysch.  The fashion section has a few men’s peacock style items as well as some Women’s Mary Quant, Biba etc and a couple of Sandy Shaw’s dresses.

The personal highlights for me were original Beatles artefacts such as handwritten lyrics, clothes (including Lennon’s suit from the Ed Sullivan show), instruments, props from the Sgt Pepper cover.  On a personal note my highlight (and something I wasn't expecting to see) was Keith Moon’s Pictures of Lily drumkit!  Also included is remnants of Townsend’s guitar from either Woodstock or the Isle of Wight (can’t remember which) and Daltrey’s stage costume, as well as some of Hendrix’s clothes and one of his guitars.

No photos allowed unfortunately and the staff were strict about enforcing this when they saw someone taking a pic.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 03:19:41 PM »
Sounds nice enough, thanks for the review, n6.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »
Nice review mate. I hope to maybe visit this coming Monday as I am off for the day.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
I took a trip to The V&A yesterday. Can only echo Number 6 comments. A fantastic exhibition well worth a visit if you can get there and have an interest in the period. Yep there were some lovely items from the archives of The Fabs and other parties who own stuff related to them. So many aspects of 1960s life are reflected so it isn't just all about Swinging London and The Who and The Stones. Vietnam, The Space Race, sexual liberation, advertising and race are all chronicled with a superb musical backdrop to each and appropriate record covers of the period, film clips, art and of course clothing. Hope to visit again. No photo policy which was fair enough as they are also selling a book based around the event which is jammed packed with illustrations so that is worth a look for those unable to actually attend

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
Thanks for the review Martin, I've got the book and it's crammed with pictures and memorabilia (with some essays that run the gamut from disposable to insightful, ditto the Jon Savage article) , but nothing substitutes the actual impact of an exhibition where music plays so important a role :-[

The guardian offers a kind of ambivalent review that somehow increases my desire to attend the exhibition!

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/sep/07/you-say-you-want-a-revolution-review-v-and-a-dizzying-trip