Author Topic: New Winter Bike.............  (Read 1066 times)

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
New Winter Bike.............
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »
Not much happening in this sub forum (best not mention TUE's  :() so thought I'd post up my latest acquisition. I've been looking for a bike to take me through the Autumn and Winter. Wanted something that could handle muddy canal & river paths, maybe the odd gravel track too, as well as my usual road riding.

Went to the Cycle Show at the NEC on Friday to get a few ideas, and look at specs/prices etc. Anyway, after some considerable weekend research, I've ordered this today. It's a 2016 model (the 2017's are out now) so it's been discounted by 21% from new. I love the colour scheme and full Ultegra with Hydraulic discs seemed a bit of a bargain, especially when up against the 2017 models.

The full spec list is:
Frame, Aluminium Superlite, Double Butted, Advanced Mechanical Forming, Internal Cable Routing, Disc Only Fork CUBE Cross Race Disc, Carbon, 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" Tapered Rear Derailluer Shimano Ultegra RD-6800SS, 11-SpeedFront Derailluer Shimano Ultegra FD-6800, 31.8mmShiftersShimano ST-RS685, 11-SpeedChainsetShimano Ultegra FC-6800, 46x36T, 170mm (53cm), 172,5mm (56/59cm), 175mm (62cm)Headset FSA Orbit Z-t ECO, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (OD 44mm), Bottom Integrated 1 1/2"StemCUBE Performance Stem Pro, 31.8mmHandlebarsCUBE Compact Race Bar Front Brake Shimano BR-RS785, Hydr. Disc Brake (160/160)Rims Mavic Aksium Disc, Center-LockTyres F+R: Schwalbe X-One Kevlar, 33-622SaddleCUBE Prolight, 27.2mmSeatpostCUBE Prolight, 27.2mmGripsCUBE Grip Control.

Should arrive by Thursday or Friday so I'll put up some more pics then along with some initial thoughts too.

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
Re: New Winter Bike.............
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:04:05 PM »
Very nice - even if it is adorned with Japanese fishing tackle  ;)

Love that colour scheme Steve - really nice - looks very different to anything else I've seen recently.

My new velo is in the process of being built, its my all season do it all bike

Kinesis GranFondo Ti V3 (non disc) - up to 30mm rubber with clearance for full guards
Campag Chorus gruppo
Mavic Ksyrium Elite hoops
Fizik Arione
Deda Zero 100 finishing kit

pics to follow in next week or so

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:28:07 PM »
Jap fishing tackle  ;D Actually this will be my first bike with Shimano. A few mates swear by it but I've only ever run Campy and SRAM, so looking forward to seeing how "smooth" it really is.

To be honest it was the price that attracted me, at just over 1100 for full Ultegra it's a bit of a bargain, especially when you add in the discs are hydraulic not cable. Looking around at the NEC last week I looked at loads of other options but to get to this spec I'd be looking at spending 1600 - 1700 at least, and none of them looked as nice as this too...I agree the colour scheme with the orange & blue highlights really make it pop.

Looking at the Parcel Force on-line tracker it may arrive later today or tomorrow at the latest. I've ordered some new shoes and pedals (more specific to riding a little more off road) so hopefully I'll have it ready to roll for a ride out on Sunday. Oddly I'm hoping it might rain.

Looking forward to seeing the new one when it's been built...a mate of mine was looking at a Ti framed bike to add to his stable. It's about the only thing he doesn't have (well, that and a racing trike) and there were some lovely examples at the show .. The Van Nicholas stuff was stunning.

That said my favourite(s) from the show had to be on the Colnago stand...we deliberately saved it until the end when the crowds had died down and we could get a proper look. Their frames are stunning and if I were to ever contemplate blowing 5k plus on a bike this would have to be it...no the best of pics but hope you get the idea

Oh, and if you have the odd 15k burning a hole, this Look Anniversary special was simply awesome:

charliebravo69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »
Wow - two bikes at the very end of the spectrum. That Colnago is lovely. The look - I'm not so sure, wouldn't suit my riding thats for sure and not sure I like the look of that integrated top tube/stem but anything that pushes the boundaries is always going to be marmite isn't it?

I have a real dislike of some of these modern bikes where the rear triangle does not meet up with the top tube if you know what I mean? Think BMC/Giant etc. I know it makes for a stiffer frame etc but I just love that classic double triangle that meets up. Saying that I used to love my triple triangle GT MTB

I do have one bike with s**tmano  ;) My Felt QX75 hybrid MTB type bike - have to say that the gear changing on that is superb for a sub 500 bike and I know that Ultegra is well loved and respected - it's just those hoods - especially on the disc versions that put me off.

I looked at Van Nick for myself but was put off by some of the things I read on various forums habited by chin strokers and anorak wearers - they seem to have a  poor customer service whereas when I rang Kinesis for advice they were wonderful.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:49:43 PM by charliebravo69 »

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
Yes, the Look is always going to cause disagreement. I liked it the first time I saw one in a LBS about 4 years ago now. This one has a different paint scheme . The detail like the integrated brakes, and yes the cockpit too, are a work of art, and whilst at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Colnago's it was my 2nd stand out bike.

I also was attracted to a small independent company called Shand Cycles. They had quite a few interesting offerings including belt drive, but I was drawn to this classic looking one http://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/skinnymalinky/

I reckon this would last me to the end of my riding days http://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/skinnymalinky/

The Stoater was another lovely thing. Classic & understated :

I know what you mean about the triangle. Mate of mine is riding his BMC from Lands End to JoG's at the moment:

Having a rest day in Edinburgh today.

charliebravo69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:14:50 PM »
Seen that brand before. Sabbath are another one I looked at too. So so many bikes out there right now.

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »
Postman's just been:

charliebravo69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »
now to get that torque wrench out  :)

Red Steve

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »
All finished. Just waiting for Wiggle to deliver the pedals and some new shoes and I'll take it for a spin at the weekend. Just a few tweaks to the seat height and the bar rotation.

They'll certainly see me coming  ;D

charliebravo69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
looks tip top Steve!  :)