Author Topic: How many shirts - is too many?  (Read 12550 times)

charliebravo69

• Modernist, Cyclist, Pissartist
    • View Profile
How many shirts - is too many?
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
Just had a rough count up and not including shirts in the wash/ironing, and definitely not including polo shirts/smedleys with collars etc, I've got 42.

Is there such a thing as too many?  :)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: How many shirts - is too many?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »
Probably 30 odd for me too and as you say not including Polo or Smedley type tops either. No real need for that many but I see a shirt, pair of shoes, jacket or whatever and if reasonably priced or a perfect match for something I already have I am in a position to buy it. May not always be the case so while I can I will which I am sure is much the same for most of us middle-aged guys. However I do have a regular clear out and take them to a local Boutique Charity shop that often put together 'Mod-type' dummy in the window so am pleased to think some of it may do a favour for someone into our stuff with perhaps not so much dosh.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »
If there is such a thing as "too many" I have not come across it yet....I think the concept is like bigfoot or aliens....only heard about.
Initials B.B.

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
If there is such a thing as "too many" I have not come across it yet....I think the concept is like bigfoot or aliens....only heard about.

What he said :)  ;D

Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:53:41 PM »
For some time now, (mentioned on here before) as a result of what my missus calls my OCD, I've been trying to compose my wardrobe into optimal combination outfits. Aside from the Mod OCD that we probably all deal with to some degree, my work situation is different from many. If you're in the same office with the same people five days a week that's 250 days a year, so it's in your interests to swop things around, experiment, be creative, and come up with myriad permutations of your wardrobe's contents. I work from home 3 to 5 days a week, and when I do go to a job site it's rarely the same place with the same people. So I'm the opposite, I decided to hone in the most optimal combination shirt / tie / etc. Also I NEED to have a different shirt for each jacket or suit.

So ... I just had a butchers and I have 33 'work' shirts to wear with suits or odd jackets. Then about 15 travel shirts (BDs, popovers, pique knits etc). Then I have 8 'best' shirts for formal occasions or going out, and 17 linen, casual, chambray and camp shirts. So that's 73 total, not including polos and the like.

Reckon that's enough? Maybe N+1 applies here?

Red Steve

• ...gettin' long in the tooth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:22:58 AM »
I've no idea but must be well north of 50+ if we're including short sleeve shirts too.
Oddly only about half will be worn these days now that I don't need to wear a shirt and tie every day. I've got quite a few still in their original wrappers. Bit sad that really.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »
I have to admit that when I've read the posts in this thread I've thought: "Those guys are nuts, wow, 30, 50, 70 shirts! they're out of their minds, really". With a self-satisfied smile on my face, I've looked in the wardrobe and start counting the bloody shirts: 43!
We need a shrink badly, gents, or... or are the rest of mankind who need desperately shirts?

Jokes aside, shirts are possibly my most often worn garment, if only for the dress code in my job, so there's no such thing as an unused shirt in my closet, tho' the casual ones see less rotation. And to avoid an unmanageable wardrobe, I apply with my clothes a strict policy of "one in, one out".

Diabolik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:29:12 AM »
Who counts their shirts?
Are you on some kind of 10 step program?

Admitting to how many you have is like admitting to your wife/ partner that you may not need anymore and that is just madness!

Close the wardrobe door and go and have a nice long walk to clear your head. Providing you can find some suitable footwear without resorting to counting your shoes and having another panic attack, you'll be fine :)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 01:11:45 PM »
Now you have me thinking, so I went and counted them...51! But as some of the ones I used to go to the office in (Brooks BD's)  wear out, I'm not replacing them... so I'll "thinned the herd" eventually  ;)
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Trotsky

• Ah yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
Too many? Crazy talk. I like having lots of choice and refinding gems that have been lost in the wardrobe behind something. The thing is that the more you have the less they get worn so the longer they last. So it's actually a money saver to buy lots of nice shirts. Think on that and you'll feel much better.
Life is too short to listen to s**t music