Author Topic: 1963 GS160  (Read 2171 times)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
1963 GS160
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »
So, I have a 1963 GS160 that I started to restore and just got sidetracked with too many things to list here. I am getting to the point of having some more free time and really need to finish this. I thought that I might post the project on here and update with pictures and notes as the restoration goes on......would anyone be interested in this or should I just shut up, restore it, then post a picture when done?

Brian
Initials B.B.

Soulstar

• View Profile
Re: 1963 GS160
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
Brian. there's nothing that can make a man feel more inadequate then watching someone else's talent and productivity turn into something to behold.
That's far outweighed by admiration 'though - I'd love to see it as it progresses.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Brian, the entire scooter thread is crying out for something of interest for those of us who love Italian shopping carts, so please, go for it!!

Oh, and to echo what Bill said, I'll probably weep at the fact you have a GS and the technical know-how to restore it yourself!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:16:13 PM by DrGonzo2411 »
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
+1 for notes and pics.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 11:28:15 AM »
Agree with everyone above!
mod in Detroit

paddy67

• See you at the Go Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 12:09:59 PM »
I'd be interested! My dream scooter the GS 160! I was at the museum at Pontedera and they didn't have one  :( Pretty rare scoots!

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 12:17:46 PM »
Sounds like a good idea Brian.  I might do the same with a model D Racer i've been gathering bits for. Only taken about 15 years on and off.
Look for ward to seeing the GS.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »
Great, sounds like it's on then. I'll get some starter pictures up this weekend and we'll go from there...hopefully I can publicly shame myself into getting this done.

Adam, I'd love to see that Model D as well.....we can both post and try to encourage each other....

Posts to come.....
Initials B.B.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »
Ok.  As it will probably not be until sometime in the spring that this project gets going again (moving house I think) here is how it is now.
Needs; New colour, custom seat, Bike tank sourced and frame adjustment for fitting, Exhaust made, possible fairing (ally) made, fork change (C model I think)  oh and a million other things. Good point is that engine runs and frame is not bent and I have most of the special parts I've been hunting for. Wish me luck.

I think we might concentrate on that lovely GS160  ;)

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
Ok, so rough intro....started this project and ran into events that stopped it, but ready to get it done and hoping this forum will help shame me into finishing.

The body has been stripped and rough primered. The plan is to first knock out any dents, dings, metal tears, etc;

Here are the side panels, same condition....need to finish the body work and them spray it all with a etch primer as I go along;

*the curved metal bad is a badge bar from a Morris Minor....exact curvature of the legshields, so going to use that as a small badge bar.

and the seat with what appears to be the shop it was purchased from? Not sure if they are still in business;

The plan was do to a Grimstead replica, but after seeing too many SE Asia hack jobs in two tone paint, that plan has changed, going to do a tidy mod bike in the original white. However I have already done the engine with biggers specs (bored to 180 SS piston, swapped with a 180 conrod, ported cylinder, corked webs, etc) all tuning was done to what was known/available at the time.

So, this is the start...next weekend I plan to get a new airhose for my compressor, primer, various grit sandpapers, and some body work done...will take pictures of that progress next Sunday evening with what's been done. Also, trying to finish all work myself and not have to farm anything out....wish me luck :)

Brian
Initials B.B.