Author Topic: 1963 GS160  (Read 2623 times)

Mutley

• View Profile
Re: 1963 GS160
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »
That's such a cool project Brian.

I'll be watching eagerly and no doubt will be green with envy once you're finished. Enjoy.....
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »
Sounds like a great project Brian . .

Can I ask what corked webs are. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »

Hi Simon, on the crankshaft there the two large round sides the the con-rod connects between. On these they have holes or indentures drilled in for balancing and such....well, the idea was (if I recall) that this was wasted area for compression, so you put in cork and epoxy to close the space , but not throw off the balance...I have an old manual that I got it from....I'll see if I can't find a link online somewhere. I should point out that I think this was only effective on full crank scooters, but it's been some years so my memory is off.
Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »

Hi Simon, on the crankshaft there the two large round sides the the con-rod connects between. On these they have holes or indentures drilled in for balancing and such....well, the idea was (if I recall) that this was wasted area for compression, so you put in cork and epoxy to close the space , but not throw off the balance...I have an old manual that I got it from....I'll see if I can't find a link online somewhere. I should point out that I think this was only effective on full crank scooters, but it's been some years so my memory is off.
Okay , thanks for that . I'm a little wiser but I have never gone as far as splitting the crankcase on a Vespa before , so still a wee bit bemused . .

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »
Here's a little bit I just found;

Crankcase stuffing reduces crankcase volume, which creates somewhat of a "slingshot" effect on filling the crankcase. The less volume, to a certain limit, results in better crankcase filling and primary compression. In turn it will have more of a charge to fill the cylinder.

Most stuffing is done with some material that takes up space without weight, but obviously it has to be sturdy enough to not fall apart. Don't know how it could have worked, but I heard early Kart racers used cork. I'd think it would fall all to pieces, but I suppose if it did, it won't damage the engine.

Cracking a motor case is a little scary the first time, but then see how simple they are. Worked in a vespa/lambretta shop years ago....got the chance to learn little tricks and add some factory tools to my collection :)
Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
Here's a little bit I just found;

Crankcase stuffing reduces crankcase volume, which creates somewhat of a "slingshot" effect on filling the crankcase. The less volume, to a certain limit, results in better crankcase filling and primary compression. In turn it will have more of a charge to fill the cylinder.

Most stuffing is done with some material that takes up space without weight, but obviously it has to be sturdy enough to not fall apart. Don't know how it could have worked, but I heard early Kart racers used cork. I'd think it would fall all to pieces, but I suppose if it did, it won't damage the engine.

Cracking a motor case is a little scary the first time, but then see how simple they are. Worked in a vespa/lambretta shop years ago....got the chance to learn little tricks and add some factory tools to my collection :)

Ah , now it all makes sense . I think that often times these little "adjustments" can make a worthwhile benefit . .good on you

I remember Norrie Kerr once told me how to split the crankcase but in the end I bottled out of it . If you have some factory tools that certainly is a boost to the confidence. I used to have the Piaggio workshop manual but some of the descriptions were a bit poor but it did recommend a raft of factory tools. .

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
Loving how this thread has got folk talking about scoots again, happy days!

Those side panels look to be be in pretty decent shape Brian, should come up lovely. And I've seen worse frames, too
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 11:44:44 PM »
OCT 30th Update...

So, had some time this weekend and I did the following;
Cleaned up headset
Cleaned up front fender
Front Fender dent removal
Primed Front fender (temp)
Cleaned/Inspected seat

So, the headset was bead blasted years ago, but there was still grime inside;

So I grabbed some sandpaper, wire brushed, and toothbrushes and cleaned;

I also took the seat and had a look;

After brushing off I think it's in great shape, no broken springs or anything..I thought about painting, but it has a shop label on the seat from Italy, so keeping it as is for now...sourcing a seat cover.

Seat Strap Hardware Removed;

Some front fender before;

And After;

Some of the tools used this weekend;

I also ordered a new air hose for the air tools and painting, should be in before next update. I am also sourcing a usable color code for the paint as the old Max Meyer is kaput and there is questionable subs out there....I heard that the mini pepper white is a match, but we will see. All parts were rough primed afterwards...will put down a good primer when all done and then the paint. Will also try to show some before/after's of sanded primer.

Also, this is a Italy grey import, so having to do some title work as well....more to come next week.

Brian

Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
OCT 30th Update...

So, had some time this weekend and I did the following;
Cleaned up headset
Cleaned up front fender
Front Fender dent removal
Primed Front fender (temp)
Cleaned/Inspected seat

So, the headset was bead blasted years ago, but there was still grime inside;

So I grabbed some sandpaper, wire brushed, and toothbrushes and cleaned;

I also took the seat and had a look;

After brushing off I think it's in great shape, no broken springs or anything..I thought about painting, but it has a shop label on the seat from Italy, so keeping it as is for now...sourcing a seat cover.

Seat Strap Hardware Removed;

Some front fender before;

And After;

Some of the tools used this weekend;

I also ordered a new air hose for the air tools and painting, should be in before next update. I am also sourcing a usable color code for the paint as the old Max Meyer is kaput and there is questionable subs out there....I heard that the mini pepper white is a match, but we will see. All parts were rough primed afterwards...will put down a good primer when all done and then the paint. Will also try to show some before/after's of sanded primer.

Also, this is a Italy grey import, so having to do some title work as well....more to come next week.

Brian

Good update Brian , keep them coming . . ;)

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »
Already you're making progress, Brian, happy days. Amazing what a bit of elbow grease can do!!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot