Author Topic: 1963 GS160  (Read 2166 times)

Mutley

• View Profile
Re: 1963 GS160
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »
I am also sourcing a usable color code for the paint as the old Max Meyer is kaput and there is questionable subs out there....I heard that the mini pepper white is a match, but we will see. All parts were rough primed afterwards...will put down a good primer when all done and then the paint. Will also try to show some before/after's of sanded primer.

Also, this is a Italy grey import, so having to do some title work as well....more to come next week.

Brian

Brian - below is a link to a site I found useful when I was looking at colour codes while doing up my scoot - hope it helps...

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic109005

If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 04:28:50 PM »
Thanks Mutley! Im not seeing the GS code off the bat, but will look more....I have a couple of errands this weekend to look for the color and see if I can locate...I have some time before I get to paint yet :) Great sources...thanks again.
Initials B.B.

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
Thanks Mutley! Im not seeing the GS code off the bat, but will look more....I have a couple of errands this weekend to look for the color and see if I can locate...I have some time before I get to paint yet :) Great sources...thanks again.

Yeah you'll need to nosy around a bit but a quick search for a 1963 GS throws up:

http://www.vespafarben.de/vespa-originalfarben-modelle-typen/

Vespa model   year of construction   Chassis NR. from   Chassis NR. to      Color / varnish                                Primer color

Vespa 160 GS   1963-64         VSB1T * 0029971 *   VSB1T * 0061000 *   Grigio biacca 714 Biancospino 715   Nocciola 3000M

Vespa 160 GS   1962               VSB1T *001001*      VSB1T *0029970*      Grigio biacca 714                             Nocciola 3000M
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 06:16:19 PM »
Thanks! I'll probably go meet with the paint supplier in the next few weeks to see if we can get the paint right.....I still have some body work to go, and then more primer, but it's going to get to that point soon. (hopefully)

Brian

Initials B.B.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »
So not much for this weekend as it rained most of the time...since it's a grey market, I have to apply for a title,  so got the forms and filled them out and all that great stuff to get the ball rolling. I think this will take a while.

Received my new air hose for my compressor, so that's going to help.

Hope to have more updates during the end of week and weekend....stay tuned.
Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 08:38:22 PM »
So not much for this weekend as it rained most of the time...since it's a grey market, I have to apply for a title,  so got the forms and filled them out and all that great stuff to get the ball rolling. I think this will take a while.

Received my new air hose for my compressor, so that's going to help.

Hope to have more updates during the end of week and weekend....stay tuned.
I'm afraid you lost mer there Brian. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »
So, the bike originally came in from Italy without a title...since the model was sold here in the 60's, it's not illegal, but it doesn't have any paperwork....so I have to get it titled (little piece of paper that says it belongs to me) and then with that I can get a plate, insurance, and all that legal stuff.....it's legal ownership, but another way for them to bilk me for money.
Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 07:18:16 AM »
So, the bike originally came in from Italy without a title...since the model was sold here in the 60's, it's not illegal, but it doesn't have any paperwork....so I have to get it titled (little piece of paper that says it belongs to me) and then with that I can get a plate, insurance, and all that legal stuff.....it's legal ownership, but another way for them to bilk me for money.

Okay , got it. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 02:57:49 AM »
So, week has been slow, but did manage a few things...

1. Went to Mini dealership to look at the "pepper white" paint as I was told the color was really close to original GS, however the paint seemed to cream colored, so going back to paint codes..

2. Got the forms and mailed in for title application...

3. Had a few nice days, so brought out the engine side cowl for work...here are some "before" pictures;

As you can see it's pretty rough, but not too rough...some of the original cowl fins has broken off, so I had some replacements and weleded them on..(poorly), so will attempt to fix and maybe reweld these. Will also remove a ltot of the primers that's on here and metal work out any bumps....will ports some durings and afters once done...Not a lot this week, but something is better than nothing.
Initials B.B.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »
The engine cowling is gonna need some work, but it certainly looks recoverable for want of a better term. Slow and steady wins the race, Brian; by Spring, you'll have a gorgeous beast that you can be proud of
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot