Author Topic: Crombie or smart winter coats  (Read 3472 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Crombie or smart winter coats
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 06:12:47 PM »
By the way I had a day in New York today and nipped in to Uniqlo to escape the rain. Got some socks and yet another Breton type top. Socks were $2 per pair, top was $15.

At 2,90€ in Europe, their socks are very good value for money, a substantial poly/cotton mix, way better than Zara or Mango.

BTW, some time ago someone here -mr. Bond maybe?- complained about the difficulty to find well priced vertical striped socks; well, Uniqlo has got them at 3,90 €/pair, albeit in just two shades of grey:

Not so much the cost , Sydney , more like the lack of availability . .

If I'm not wearing socks that match my outfit , my default colour is always red . I think it is a late Mod thing and it shows my movements better when dancing . I was on a course recently and I got comments about my sock choice from "normals" , mostly complimentary. . 8)

I've got tons of socks, as I need (yes, those obsessions of ours) them to match my trousers (or if it can't be well done, my shoes), but I've never liked bright red shoes, too flashy, I prefer burgundy. Maybe I'm so lousy a dancer I want my movements to go unnoticed  ;D

I remember a good friend of mine from the revival days always wore red socks, it was pretty usual those days (as were white socks).

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
By the way I had a day in New York today and nipped in to Uniqlo to escape the rain. Got some socks and yet another Breton type top. Socks were $2 per pair, top was $15.

At 2,90€ in Europe, their socks are very good value for money, a substantial poly/cotton mix, way better than Zara or Mango.

BTW, some time ago someone here -mr. Bond maybe?- complained about the difficulty to find well priced vertical striped socks; well, Uniqlo has got them at 3,90 €/pair, albeit in just two shades of grey:

If I'm not wearing socks that match my outfit , my default colour is always red . I think it is a late Mod thing and it shows my movements better when dancing . I was on a course recently and I got comments about my sock choice from "normals" , mostly complimentary. . 8)

Remember red socks bein' a bit ay a skinheid fetish n'aw.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »

Remember red socks bein' a bit ay a skinheid fetish n'aw.

I do favour the style of the late Mods/ early skin , as I have said , 1967 was a great year . . 8)
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 01:53:48 AM »
Not that I needed another coat but at 60% off...
mod in Detroit

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

So long as it's only two shades of grey and not fifty...  ;)
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »

I've got tons of socks, as I need (yes, those obsessions of ours) them to match my trousers (or if it can't be well done, my shoes), but I've never liked bright red shoes, too flashy, I prefer burgundy. Maybe I'm so lousy a dancer I want my movements to go unnoticed  ;D

I remember a good friend of mine from the revival days always wore red socks, it was pretty usual those days (as were white socks).

Yes , I recall you saying once you literally have hundreds of socks and the ones l seen look good , especially of the verticle stripe variety.
I don't do red shoes either I have oxblood Sebago's and I have oxblood boots of course . I do remember the white socks thing that went on in the 8ts but the only white socks l have now are for cycling in , of course. I don't even wear white socks with my kilt now. . 8)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »

So long as it's only two shades of grey and not fifty...  ;)

;D

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »
Not that I needed another coat but at 60% off...

That BB number looks very nice, Mike. I like double breasted coats but with my height I'm afraid I can't get away with them  :-\

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »

Yes , I recall you saying once you literally have hundreds of socks and the ones l seen look good , especially of the verticle stripe variety.
I don't do red shoes either I have oxblood Sebago's and I have oxblood boots of course . I do remember the white socks thing that went on in the 8ts but the only white socks l have now are for cycling in , of course. I don't even wear white socks with my kilt now. . 8)

Sorry, I meant socks, not shoes, to me red shoes are something out of The Wizard of Oz or a 70s blaxploitation movie really. Well, tbh hundreds of socks would be a bit of an overstatement, 30 pairs would be closer to the truth.  But white socks I do wear, usually with very casual clobber (for instance, Jack Purcells, chinos & a t-shirt)

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 06:56:30 PM »

Sorry, I meant socks, not shoes, to me red shoes are something out of The Wizard of Oz or a 70s blaxploitation movie really. Well, tbh hundreds of socks would be a bit of an overstatement, 30 pairs would be closer to the truth.  But white socks I do wear, usually with very casual clobber (for instance, Jack Purcells, chinos & a t-shirt)

In this country , white socks became a bit of a no go area. . :)