Author Topic: All those lights...  (Read 1347 times)

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
All those lights...
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:54:26 PM »
Thinking of adding a small rack of lights to my series 2 li. Cambridge Lambretta sell 'ready made' racks for about 130 with 5 spots on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152381365479

I really like the look of that. Nice colours and no drilling necessary. In the little research I've done, I see that many of the scooters with tons of lights use them purely as decoration and they're not even wired in. Is this common knowledge amongst scooterists in the scene? Anyone on here have none-working lights?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:59:05 PM by babyshambler »

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: All those lights...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
As far as I know, non-working lights are pretty common....to fire up all those lights requires more juice than a little 6-12 volt battery can supply.
Initials B.B.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »
As far as I know if a light is fitted , it is supposed to work . If you are not using your scoot for regular transport though , l reckon you will get away with it. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:21 PM »
Cheers, fellas. Out of interest, do you think the weight/shape of them would slow the scoot down by much? She's only a 125.

BrianB

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
It will slow it down a little....the weight in not that much, but I think more the air resistance......of course, which do you want, speed or style? :)
Initials B.B.

babyshambler

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »
Yep, style  :)

She feels pretty fast to me anyway, being my first ride an'all. Obviously to a seasoned scooterist used to buzzing around on a more powerful machine, she'd feel a bit sluggish, but that doesn't concern me at the minute. Roll on payday or today's accie coming in :D

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
I have a rack with three spots on the front of my PX, two clear and an old retro fog light. None are wired up, though my plan is to put LEDs into the clear spots, I'm told they will run easy off the AC as they draw so little power. I do think spots should work if they're there, so if you don't wire them up, BS, lift the rack off before MOT.

Oh and style over speed every time!!
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
Potentially gonna throw the cat amongst the pigeons here, sorry...

For me the whole idea of extra lights on a scoot sits firmly in the domain of fishtail parkas and target patches - you all know what I mean by that I'm sure.

But hey, it's horses for courses right, just like with our music and sartorial tastes.

And always style over speed - how else we gonna be seen  8) 8)
If you ooze masculinity, like some of us do, you have no reason to fear pink.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
Not sure it's all about targets and patches but I'm also not really big on the lights thing. (catch your drift though)

However I've always thought this bloke on the left did an excellent job of it. Maybe because the lights are  on the bars rather than a rack. In fact that really is the answer for me if I had spots. That's a cool looking scoot I'd say, lights an all.

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
Just found a pic of a scoot I put together for Hastings museum a few years back and I did it there too.
Loose the rack and get front bars I say....