Author Topic: Paul Weller - Crowdfunding his label.  (Read 957 times)

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Paul Weller - Crowdfunding his label.
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
Not sure if anyone has read this but what the.........    Would love him on Dragons Den with all this.  "I'm Out"...    :o

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/feb/24/paul-weller-crowdfund-clothing-collection-real-stars-are-rare-the-jam

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Weller - Crowdfunding his label.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
Not sure about that outfit Mr weller..some of the comments aren't very complimentary.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:10:10 PM by dazlcfc »
Not stuck in the 60's

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
I am not a Weller hater by any stretch. That seems an all too fashionable stance for many of our sort of crowd to take recently. I have enjoyed his music for 40 years. As a kid I saw the Jam many times and met him and the rest of the band on numerous occasions and never found him to be anything aside from an absolute legend of a fella. I am equally aware that from informed circles there are those who paint a very different picture of him and given the reputation of some of those naysayers I would not doubt what they say either. However this scenario is just ridiculous isn't it? It really does demean the bloke and his reputation and I kinda hate to see him doing it. The whole clothes line thing is a bit grim as well as by and large I have not seen a single item that I like and similarly those wearing it really do seem to be the 'Weller haircut brigade' which in itself is an immediate turn off for many more sussed parties. The comments are a bit strong but most have some solid foundation to them and many do seem to be admirers of his work but not this particular venture and the way he is handling things. Sad really.

Stax

• Just realised you can change the 'just joined' bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
I'd like to know what the hell 'mod shorts' are!

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05:59 AM »
I'd like to know what the hell 'mod shorts' are!

A Whisky Mac or a vodka n' tonic if ah'm takin' it easy.

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:35 AM »
Strikes me that Weller and his partner(s) aren't very confident in the success of the brand if they are looking for crowdfunding. If this thing is going to be hugely profitable, then why not invest some of his own money rather than rely on all the fan-boys and girls who will no doubt jump in feet first. I like Weller, and his place in 'our' history is assured, but this is a bit lame. Not unlike his most recent musical output.

P.S 60 for a plain white t-shirt? F**k away off, Paul!!  >:(
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
Totally with Dr G. I will not be part of the I hate Weller camp because of the influence the fella has had on me as a kid in the 1970s and indeed on the whole Mod scene as it is today. However I am not a 'Weller haircut' blind follower of everything he does or is involved in and as noted there are those who subscribe to that way of thinking. He'll get my money for his music and on many occasions hasn't got that either of late. (Although saying that I'm seeing him two nights on the trot at the end of the month when there may be bucket shakers asking for donations for his clothes line!)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
 Whilst I'm interested by Weller's clothing business there is nothing I have seen that I would like to buy , so far . I do recognise of course his contribution to music over the last 5 decades and i appreciate also what he has done for Mod culture in general .
I still remember buying my first Jam single and it is still my favourite tune by him . I also realise that his best performances and his best song writing days are behind him now and perhaps he wishes to create another revenue stream for himself by expanding his clothing business , which if that is the case is fine by me , it is his business .

As for the the 60 t-shirt , that reminded me of the cost of a PG t-shirt , which I didn't feel obliged to buy either  . .most "designer" gear is way overpriced for what it is but as a whole we as a movement tend not to want to be covered in logos anyway , whith the possible exception of a subtle laurel leaf perhaps. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
Whilst I'm interested by Weller's clothing business there is nothing I have seen that I would like to buy , so far .

I guess that sums up pretty well the issue, for me at least. I'll have a look at their website now and then, just to be disappointed, I'm afraid, by the boring designs and outrageous prices. Oh, and I bet things will get even worse with new investors.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
Whilst I'm interested by Weller's clothing business there is nothing I have seen that I would like to buy , so far .

I guess that sums up pretty well the issue, for me at least. I'll have a look at their website now and then, just to be disappointed, I'm afraid, by the boring designs and outrageous prices. Oh, and I bet things will get even worse with new investors.

Of course , the chances are that if they did produce something we did fancy, that someone else will already be producing a similar item which might even be better and a bit cheaper. .
We know Paul is keen on the Henley but the ones so far like most of the other kit , to me , was uninspiring and bland. .just saying . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!