Author Topic: Runaway Soul!  (Read 277 times)

theoneandonlyjasetheface

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Runaway Soul!
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
My latest collection of Modernist Beat Poetry - Runaway Soul! is out now available from various online retailers. Celebrated Mod Fiction author Jason Brummell has also written a review which I wish to share as it is, in my opinion, a great review :D

Jason Disley's RUNAWAY SOUL review:
Jason's latest collection of poetry is centred around Soul; both musically and metaphysically. The playful modal and lyrical word-play swing of his previous Jazz and Blues inflected prose is replaced here by a more four-to-the-floor heart-beating rhythm and the rhymes are neater in their metre, immersed here in a Tamla feel.

There is both light and shade in this collection and the darker hues are heavy, (Heavy Soul anyone?) and are a harder read - an all too familiar recognition of the state of things in the World today and the depressing inevitability of it in the hands of Governments, their Media bedfellows (so just who is holding who to account these days) and those whose privilege seems to stop at their own front door leaves a bitter taste.

On the flip-side is the soaring joy of those fleeting perfect escapist moments of life and dance floor that make being in the moment (not so much trapped in the moment but free in that instant) the highest of highs. The uplifting and positive side of the coin is a true wonder to be a part of and an enjoyable read.

As ever with Jason's poetry there are some wonderfully evocative lines... A Different Life begins 'The streets of the city, wet with pleasure reveal amber reflections of squat ugly black cabs...' a poem that sees this scene from the eyes of those on a night out and a homeless man. The Gil Scott-Heron-esque line 'Circumstance can be a BITCH!' is particularly powerful.

I also particularly enjoyed the caffeine-fuelled fantasy of Words of Wisdom from an Absolute Beginner who is then snapped out of his escapist reverie by the finishing of his coffee and folding '... the paper and place it on the empty seat beside me...'

Another highlight is the Bobby Tarlton inspired Soul Believer with its marvellous ending 'Wear your hat the right way round and go LIVE your life...'

This collection is highly recommended and well worth adding to his other works - available via Lulu, Amazon or easier still via Jason himself

As expected there are a number of nods to Soul artists; James Brown, Mose Allison, Sharon Jones, Smokey, Rob Galliano (a very big influence) and also the socially conscious Marvin, Curtis and the aforementioned GSH.

Follow the link below if you'd like to purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1326925873/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488396414&sr=8-6&keywords=Runaway+Soul%21