Author Topic: S2 Rear Wheel...Wat's the trick?  (Read 260 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
S2 Rear Wheel...Wat's the trick?
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
OK, finally after years of waiting for painters, my engine guy... I'm starting to put my 1960 Lamb. S2 project together... ran into a small snag today. I installed the engine with the rear wheel assembled. Now I need to remove it to put a "wheel holder" I made  (from the Sticky manual) to torque the hub nut down ( are you still with me? :o )
Trouble is, I cannot get the wheel out with the side cover lock "perch"  in the way.
Anyone have an S2 that knows the trick?
mod in Detroit

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: S2 Rear Wheel...Wat's the trick?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »
I've always just got a big bloke to sit on the bike when tightening rear nut to stop the wheel going around. You can definitely remove rear wheel without  removing the "Perch".  Could be that you have a wider more modern tyre so it gets a bit stuck.  Let the air out and give it a good yank.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »
So yesterday, I did work on it and removed the wheel... had to use 2 jacks (one under the motor to raise it to perch height, the second under the frame at the rear to raise the body up to clear it... I don't know how I'll be able to change it on the road ???).
Yeah, Adam I do have a 4" wide rim on the rear. I used it on my S3 and it wasn't a problem... but you could swing that wire panel locking clip out of the way... Anyway. It's sorted now, worked more on it yesterday, maybe it'll be ready for a test fire by the weekend (fingers crossed)
mod in Detroit

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
That's looking good and thanks for the kind GP words.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
Thanks Adam, it's getting there...
mod in Detroit

Essexmark

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
That's looking great Mike. Looking forward to seeing it complete. I have just placed a deposit on a 1960 series 2, should be with me early June. My one will need a paint job in the medium term; your one is an inspiration mate.