Author Topic: Top 5 sixties films  (Read 779 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 sixties films
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
Agree with most all choices and comments too. Tough to differentiate between fave films of the decade regardless of subject matter and those with a '1960s/Mod/Swinging London/Soho Noir' vibe. Regardless of genre I'd go for stuff like THE GREAT ESCAPE, BULLITT, THE MAGNIFICENT 7, VON RYANS EXPRESS, THE REBEL, GOLDFINGER, BARBARELLA, BATMAN, THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF, THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, PLANET OF THE APES, ALFIE, ITALIAN JOB, THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO, THE GRADUATE, the FLINT movies even things like JUNGLE BOOK or WEST SIDE STORY and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS or some of the 'CARRY ONs. Of course many of these have a hint of what guys like us go for in terms of style, music and such like. For 'genre' I guess things like all the Beatle films, THE KNACK, THE SYSTEM, UP THE JUNCTION. So many just 'feel' good regardless of whether they are actually what could be regarded as 'good films'. Nice topic though.

Wow , what an epic film , particularly when you are a kid and the next day at school you are talking about it all morning with your buddies. .haven't seen since I was a kid tho'. . :-\ Taras Bulba was also a great one when a kid and also "How to Murder Your Wife " even just to see the clothes. . 8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:50:02 PM by Simon Bond »
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »
I think you left out the name of the film you like mate. I'm guessing you mean 'JASON'?

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »
I think you left out the name of the film you like mate. I'm guessing you mean 'JASON'?

Indeed Martin , I had done it in boldface in the quote but it doesn't show up very well. If I remember that film had some stunning special effects for the time. .like fighting skeletons and a giant warrior. . 8)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
Class! Yes an absolute favourite of mine.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »

Indeed Martin , I had done it in boldface in the quote but it doesn't show up very well. If I remember that film had some stunning special effects for the time. .like fighting skeletons and a giant warrior. . 8)

I loved "Jason..." and everything Ray Harryhausen put his magic hands on, I still do. But when I proudly played the DVD for my son, not so long ago, he just laughed at the FX. A sad story, I guess, that won't deter me from trying that he knows and (with a lot of luck) appreciates the best that 20th century's cinema has to offer.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
I guess so much of what we like whether it be music, film, telly and clothes is looked upon by younger generations as old hat. However as long as we fly the flag and even some younger people gain an appreciation for it it will never die. I was fortunate to meet Ray on a number of occasions and once visited him at his home when he gave me a personal tour of his own collection of props, artwork and miniatures. An absolute gent as well as a true genius of cinema.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
I envy you, Martin, the nearest I've been to the genius is at a cinema where they were showing one of his movies (yes, I'm that old. I even remember watching one of the three "Sinbad" films, possibly "Eye of the tiger", at a local cinema while in Hastings, in my second trip ever to England).

I agree with you: style as we understand it is not in risk of disappearing. Not with nowadays' wide and easy access to great music & movies.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
I guess so much of what we like whether it be music, film, telly and clothes is looked upon by younger generations as old hat. However as long as we fly the flag and even some younger people gain an appreciation for it it will never die. I was fortunate to meet Ray on a number of occasions and once visited him at his home when he gave me a personal tour of his own collection of props, artwork and miniatures. An absolute gent as well as a true genius of cinema.

Good post Martin , you were fortunate to meet the gent. .

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
I have enjoyed the company of some heroes of mine over the years and I do count myself as very fortunate. Since I was a teenager I have written and contributed to books and magazines which has been how I've met them for interviews and stuff. Starting with Paul Weller as a 16 year old kid through to the likes of Harryhausen and Adam West, Robert Vaughn, the cast of LOST IN SPACE and session guitar legend Big Jim Sullivan. However to this day I am still knocked out by it all and don't take it for granted.

Mo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
Great choices,must be said. Should've been top ten.
Must add,
Sandwich Man,
Bedazzled,
Here we go round the Mulberry Bush and
To Sir with Love.

Three quintessential 60s films that serve to illustrate my point. None of them is an outstanding movie (Bedazzled is a clever comedy, but not a great film and the other two are hugely dated), but they've got period charm in spades.
I love Petrr Cook so I suppose I'm a bit biased. The fact that the others are "dated" does it for me,if there is such a thing. 😀
And my soul has been psychedelicized.