Author Topic: Batman!  (Read 369 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Batman!
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
From the outstanding Patrick Foissy's blog, Parka Avenue, an entry that's sure to delight our Martin:

http://parkaavenue.blogspot.com.es/

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Batman!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
I will give this a look for sure. Anything relating to the old TV show is of interest. Thanks for the link fella! One of the greatest memories I have was as a kid meeting Adam West in full costume when he was over promoting a single he released in the mid 1970s. The TV show was getting a re-run and was proving immensely popular again and to capitalise on the interest he put out a record as he had done in the 1960s. I met him in SELFRIDGES department store having bunked off school to see him. My Mum went mental when I got home and I got a clout from her and the old man too. I was only about 11 at secondary school and they took that sort of thing very seriously but in retrospect it was worth it seeing him and pretty much meeting 'Batman' for real.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »
Bet it was worth the scolding  ;). Seriously, Martin, you've got an impressive record of meetings with pop culture geants. Bravo!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »

Maybe this should be in the WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU WEARING thread!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:34:55 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
A mod super-hero at last! Maybe we could sell the idea to DC  ;)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
DC already had a 'Mod' hero in the '60s with their comic SWING WITH SCOOTER. A 'Groovy Cat' from England who buzzed around in stories similar to those seen in the ARCHIE comics. They also had a TEEN TITANS baddie called The Mad Mod too and in the recent cartoons of that comic Malcolm McDowell provided the voice as he too tore about on a scooter wearing a parka and was drawn similarly to characters we know from the band GORILLAZ.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:14:42 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
Now that you mention it, I'm sure I've read about "Scooter", maybe in the Taschen's mega-book about DC. But if I'm not mistaken he wasn't a super-hero, just a parody youngster to appeal the teenagers.

Love the moniker "The Mad Mod" for a villain. What about "Batspoke" or "Peacockman" for the hero? Fighting sartorial crimes! If so, he would need loads of sidekicks nowadays (Buckyface? Rob-in Crowd?  ;D )

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
Oh yeah he was the hero but not  a 'Super' one. He was a FAB one though!! Kinda a McCartney lookalike. The strip ran a few years and he actually went from quite 'Mod' looking through 'Dandy' and then into 'Hippy'