Author Topic: Mojo Talkin' - Under the Influence Of Mod  (Read 595 times)

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
Mojo Talkin' - Under the Influence Of Mod
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Tony Beesley's follow up to the excellent Sawdust Caesars arrived this morning and on first glance what an impressive looking addition to my library it is.

Looking forward to spending some quality time with it in the near future!

It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Mojo Talkin' - Under the Influence Of Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »
I'll try to get it next week, Martin's involvement and the fine "Sawdust Caesars" are a guarantee of the results.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
Cheers GS. Yes I am in there throughout. Just got my copy today. From the few bits of dobbed in to it does look like a more than worthy shelf mate to 'SAWDUST'. Looking forward to getting stuck in myself. Tony has pulled in some great people on this writing about more than just "We had a fight with...", "We wore...." or "When I was a kid I rode....." and done a good job bringing a coherence and continuity to many threads of Modernism from people of all generations across the globe.

banjo

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
I'm on page 270 and I've got to say this is a great piece of work. Detailed, well researched and a brilliant read.
Also great to see you in there Martin. The photo of you in the parka and sunglasses brought back memories of seeing the local lads becoming Mods in 1978 and walking through my estate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:22:21 PM by banjo »

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:55:35 PM »

Cheers mate. Yeah those shots of me as a 14/15 year old are funny but as you say much as guys like you from my area would have remembered me and my mates at the time. This is an older me with the book accompanied by the poster for one of the films I mention in my piece CROSSPLOT.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:00:12 PM by Martin G »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
Is that the Uniqlo jacket, Martin? Good fit, mate, they're ace for the price. I've purchased the book from a webstore called Dead End St. Allegedly it's signed by Tony, but it'll take a good week to arrive here  :'(

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:26:26 PM »
Indeed it is GS. Great in the body but as with all my jackets the sleeves are too long but as they do not have even mock buttons I simply folded up and ironed them! As you say for 30 quid no complaints at all and decent for the Summer semi casual thing. I think Tony has signed tons of them fella so you'll likely get one with his autograph! Enjoy when it hits fella.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
Fresh from the mailbox, and with due Tony's signature on it! I'm eager to read it, though I'm midway through two books at the moment, and reading three simultaneously could be too much.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Nice one GS! Glad it hit OK. I think one of the appeals of Tony's books is that they are divided up and cover the original 1960s period, the 'revival' and more recent history too. Similarly there are chapters on certain subjects or aspects of the whole Mod thing so you can dip in and out without losing continuity as you would with a standard book on any subject. Enjoy it fella.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
Nice one GS! Glad it hit OK. I think one of the appeals of Tony's books is that they are divided up and cover the original 1960s period, the 'revival' and more recent history too. Similarly there are chapters on certain subjects or aspects of the whole Mod thing so you can dip in and out without losing continuity as you would with a standard book on any subject. Enjoy it fella.

Thanks, mate, sure I'll do. Besides, right now one of the books I'm reading is a social history of Great Britain between 1959 and 1962, so they kind of complement each other.