Author Topic: UFO  (Read 985 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: UFO
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
UFO can be looked at by many as the very pinnacle of the extended run of classic Gerry Anderson shows produced through the 1960s. The earlier puppet programmes were of course hugely popular with kids and the later ones like THUNDERBIRDS and 'CAPTAIN SCARLET' were enjoyed by adults as they were genuine family viewing. Gerry and his team sought to reach their peak of production with UFO simply taking all the ideas from the earlier programmes with them but substituting actors for puppets but still with the great opening titles, dynamic characters, amazing special effects and stunning miniatures. As noted very few of the main cast are still alive aside from Gabrielle Drake, Antonia Ellis, Wanda Ventham and Ayshea Brough. All the male leads and a many of the guest stars are now gone but the show I guess keeps them alive in their heyday.
Gerry and Sylvia Anderson were very productive in the 6ts , in particular the latter half with Captain Scarlet in '67 , Joe 90 in '68 and then UFO in 1970 . Those were the days. .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:48:24 PM »
Gerry and Sylvia Anderson were very productive in the 6ts , in particular the latter half with Captain Scarlet in '67 , Joe 90 in '68 and then UFO in 1970 . Those were the days. .

all wonderful, as were Space:1999 in the mid 70's and Terrahawks in the 80's.... speaking of which, I see Zelda still has ambitions to subdue & rule us human scum  ;)

Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Ian_B

• Old Man Ian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 10:51:16 PM »
Grammar = the difference between knowing your s**t, and knowing you're s**t!

Fentonwho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
I have been fortunate over the years to have met and interviewed pretty much the entire cast and crew of UFO. Peter Gordeno was an especially lovely fella despite being in not the best of health. Had the most incredible house I have ever seen which I didn't expect given he was mostly well known in the 1960s and early '70s. Met Georgina Moon a year or so back at a convention and she is still not a bad looking lady but again this was a show when all but the key actors were cast for their looks as they had been models or dancers. Very few still alive sadly.

Hello Martin - are you a member of the forum over at the Eagle Transporter website?
He only comes out when i drink my gin ...

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
Hi mate. Yes but I have not contributed for some years. To be honest the Sci-Fi crowd can be an 'acquired taste' like many relating to popular telly of days-gone-by such as those connected to THE AVENGERS, THE PRISONER or whatever. I dob in here and there but find like many followers of certain subjects FACEBOOK is the way forward for most of them. Forum behaviour has a continuity though regardless of the subject matter and thankfully much of what has put me off the Sci-Fi crowd doesn't seem to happen here too much. I still attend conventions, movie fairs and such like but did most of that many years back when thankfully most of the folk involved were still alive or prepared and able to go to them too. I guess like the whole Mod thing I pick and choose what I attend in person or get involved with on-line.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:42:27 PM by Martin G »

Fentonwho

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »
Yeah fair point well made.
I'm a fan of much of Gerry Anderson's work (Space:1999 being my particular favourite). I enjoyed itv4's showing of UFO ten years or so back and wondered whether it was worth the extra expense of getting the Network DVD boxset released last year or to opt for the two individual volumes that can be picked up for around 10 each (if you shop around !) ?

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
I worked on a few of the box sets for Carlton when they owned the shows as well as a few of the foreign releases so was fortunate to have had them given to me as part of the deal. The recent Blue-Ray set from Network is very nice so if the DVD is similar I'd say nab it mate. A couple of pals of mine have huge SPACE:1999 collections. In fact only this weekend I was with a mate who owns the original 44 Inch miniature of the Eagle amongst other bits. A staggering piece of engineering still today.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:53:12 PM by Martin G »

Fentonwho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »
Nice - the Carlton boxset of Space:1999 is regular viewing in my house.
Yeah I'd imagine that original Brian Johnson 44 model is rather impressive, I'm just pleased I managed to pick up some of the merchandise before the prices went silly and that my old Dinky Eagle Freighter (that sat in a leaky garden shed for well over 30 years !) somehow survived relatively unscathed.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
Like you I am content with some old bits of merchandise I've accumulated over the years. Although I have a few screen seen items these couple of pals of mine really do have quite remarkable collections. Built up over 30 years of collecting and costing them a few quid too as it never just fell into their laps. However seeing it all is breath-taking. Costumes, props, set dressing, miniatures you name it. Sometimes it feels like you are actually on 'ALPHA'!

Fentonwho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »
Just spotted on Amazon that the boxset has dropped to 25 which is too tempting to resist so I gave the wallet an airing ;-)