Author Topic: RIP Roger Moore  (Read 487 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
mod in Detroit

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Roger Moore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
The guy remains an absolute hero of mine having grown up with him as THE SAINT and one of the stars of THE PERSUADERS! Agreed not my fave Bond but he has to take credit as keeping it all going through the 1970s and beyond. Two great films he did in the late 1960s were CROSSPLOT and THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF which he looked upon as his best performance and film. Stuff like WILD GEESE too was a blinder. I was fortunate to have met him twice and he was an absolute gent and so smart too. Great sense of humour so for me a sad loss.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 03:30:59 PM »
First, Moore wasn't half bad an actor as critics would have it in their obituaries, IMO, but he was no Laurence Olivier either. Let's say in his defence that he was aware of it and made of his ironic detachment a trademark.

Re the Bond franchise, I'm a Sean Connery supporter, HE was James Bond, but I have to admit Moore's films are the first Bonds I saw in the cinema as a 1970s kid, so he'll always be second best for me. And I kind of like his tongue in cheek approach to the superspy cliché. Oh, and he truly seemed a nice fella. RIP.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:15:30 PM »
Never got into Bond films, always sad when such an iconic actor passes away.
Not stuck in the 60's

DrGonzo2411

• Dressing fine and making time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
As others have said, he wasn't the archetypal Bond (Connery has that nailed), but he brought a different dynamic to the role and I enjoyed his tongue-in-cheek, not taking himself too seriously performances. Seems to have been a genuinely nice guy and did have a great sense of humour whenever I read him in print or heard interviews. Sad loss
36/33 waist/leg, 46 chest, 10 shoe/boot

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »

ianeggbert

• Vintage becoming veteran
    • View Profile
    • The Acoustic Egg Box
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
The guy remains an absolute hero of mine having grown up with him as THE SAINT and one of the stars of THE PERSUADERS! Agreed not my fave Bond but he has to take credit as keeping it all going through the 1970s and beyond. Two great films he did in the late 1960s were CROSSPLOT and THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF which he looked upon as his best performance and film. Stuff like WILD GEESE too was a blinder. I was fortunate to have met him twice and he was an absolute gent and so smart too. Great sense of humour so for me a sad loss.

This echoes my sentiments almost perfectly mate - I absolutely adore the Man Who Haunted Himself when I first saw it as a kid and as for the other shows you mention, well they're iconic British TV shows of a golden era aren't they.     
It's not the cost of the suit that counts, it's the worth of the man inside it

Twitter: @IanPople1

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 04:40:39 PM »

My first viewing of Moore was also the Saint and I loved it as a kid , everything - the music , Moore the Saint logo and Moore's Volovo also. Not my favourite Bond but he was very good in movies and I particularly like Shout at the Devil.
The Persuaders was also a class show and Moore worked particularly well with Tony Curtis , to make a very memorable tv show.
maybe he wasn't the best actor known but he was certainly very entertaining and had a style of his own . .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »
Great some of you guys now more of his stuff than just the 'Bond' movies which for alot of blokes like me were almost like a surprise add on to his already illustrious career. SHOUT AT THE DEVIL yeah another corker .